News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Think this Just Might be a Mercedes Dial

Started by RDPipes, July 11, 2022, 05:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

The other day I was just roaming the interweb and spotted this box of stuff for sale.
After going through many blurry photos this one pops up clear as a bell. I looked at it carefully
studying it trying to make sure I was really seeing what I was seeing. Well, after staring at it for too long
and not being able to see the other side of it I just paid the $15 asking price and the $15 shipping and hoped
it really is what I think it is and complete. If not "Oh well!" it aint the first time I was wrong and wasted money. There is another dial, a WE#9 in original box shall we say and some other things I can always sell for a buck.

LarryInMichigan

It looks like one from here.  Your probably got more than your money's worth.

Larry

RDPipes

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 11, 2022, 05:14:43 PMIt looks like one from here.  Your probably got more than your money's worth.

Larry

Gee! I hope not!...........LOL!
I just hope its complete and not to damaged where the finger wheel can be realigned again.

TelePlay

The photo isn't the best.

Do I see a break in the finger wheel (red circle) or is it an optical illusion?

RDPipes

Quote from: TelePlay on July 11, 2022, 06:59:14 PMThe photo isn't the best.

Do I see a break in the finger wheel (red circle) or is it an optical illusion?

Your guess is as good as mine sir.

FABphones

Zoomed in, hopefully might be optical, that curved item to rear may be throwing a reflection? Fingers crossed!

Great find and really well spotted. Looking forward to seeing more when it arrives.

Want to see photos of what other goodies are in the box too please.  :)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on July 12, 2022, 03:52:57 AMZoomed in, hopefully might be optical, that curved item to rear may be throwing a reflection? Fingers crossed!

Great find and really well spotted. Looking forward to seeing more when it arrives.

Want to see photos of what other goodies are in the box too please.  :)

So do I, LOL! Most the photos look like a train going by at high speed, LOL!
I'll let ya all know, it suppose to be here Monday.

kleenax

It's a Type 21 AE dial. Yes, commonly known as "Mercedes" because of the card holder style. Just the card holder is worth what you paid.

Need parts for it? I have them ;-) 
AE Type 21.jpeg
 I have removed the card holders from most of these since it has to come off to work on the dial.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

RDPipes

Quote from: kleenax on July 12, 2022, 07:48:29 AMIt's a Type 21 AE dial. Yes, commonly known as "Mercedes" because of the card holder style. Just the card holder is worth what you paid.

Need parts for it? I have them ;-) 

I have removed the card holders from most of these since it has to come off to work on the dial.

Well if'en I do I know who to call sir, LOL!

TelePlay

Also, the dial seems to be mounted on a flat metal piece using a black dial housing (green dot).

Will be interesting to see what that may be, if anything.

RDPipes

I think it's what ever is underneath the dial, I believe there is one of those chest mount operator
transmitters being I saw one in one of the other blurry photos, LOL!

RDPipes

Well it took long enough to get here but, in the condition the box was in and how it was packed I'm surprised it got here at all. Packed in one oversized worn out box with ONE piece of tape over the top to hold the worn out flaps closed. One piece of newsprint each to wrap 4 items while the rest just rolled around in the box freely. Sorry no photos, I was just to disgusted to even think about taking any. Any way onto the subject at hand, here is what was in the $15 box of stuff. And you were correct Teleplay about the Mercedes dial being attach to something. The dial is pretty much shot. Spring had come loose and the finger wheel wouldn't return. After reafixing it, it would just spring back rapidly so the gears aren't engaged to slow it down. I'll dig into it deeper a little later and clean it up some. Now for the rest of the JUNK if anyone sees anything they'd like to have let me know.....except the beat to death butt set, I took it apart and salvaged some screws and other parts and tossed the rest and also the headset I salvaged the cloth cord and tossed it and of course the Mercedes dial I'll keep just because I don't have one.

FABphones

Email Steve Hilsz, if anyone can help with the Mercedes dial, he can.

Looks like there is a T for a payphone, someone will likely want one of those. The GTE sign might be required (is it metal or plastic).

One man's junk and all that...

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on July 20, 2022, 01:22:26 PMEmail Steve Hilsz, if anyone can help with the Mercedes dial, he can.

Looks like there is a T for a payphone, someone will likely want one of those. The GTE sign might be required (is it metal or plastic).

One man's junk and all that...

:)

CJ it's a fabric emblem off a shirt or jacket and yep, that's a payphone key per say.
Hopefully someone will want the dials too, there just to late model for me.
I'm going to play with the dial a bit, I can't really afford sending it to someone to repair, specially when I
don't have a use for it really. Should be easy enough to get working if I don't need any parts.

HowardPgh

If the dial springs back like it is disengaged, it may be missing the little ratchet pawl that sits in a little recess under the number card. Its small and easily lost.
Howard