News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

B series ringer issues: Northern Electric 445

Started by Babybearjs, September 10, 2020, 03:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

:) this one is kind of frustrating.... I have a 445 3 line phone in my bedroom connected to the house phone. and it won't ring..... until you open the cover. has anyone has this issue with the canadian version of the 445 phones? or any of the 300 or 400 series canadian sets? this really bothers be as this is my beside phone and if it doesn't ring, then I don't get the call until I'm up. any idea of how to solve this mystery? what would cause the ringer not to work with the cover on? the ringer tests good, so I know its not the ringer.... I adjusted the bias, and it isin't that.... so what else could it be? anyone have the answer?
John

LarryInMichigan

I have had a problem with some 302s where wires connected to the dial in the shell would interfere with the movement of the ringer armature when the shell was in place since they hang down above the ringer.  I would suspect that something like that is happening here.

Larry

HarrySmith

I agree with Larry. I had a 302 that worked fine on the bench but would not ring when I put it all together. I chased my tail for a while until I figured out it was the dial wires. Tuck all the wiring up and it should ring fine.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

I'll have to check that.... would a bad coil on the ringer cause any issues? it acts like its not getting enough power...
John