News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Smaller Phone Companies

Started by tjmack99, December 28, 2010, 06:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjmack99

I understand that the 302 (and other) phones with the F1W handset were made by WE for sale to Non-Bell System companies. Is there any listing of who those smaller companies were?

Phonesrfun

I doubt it, since there must have been hundreds, if not thousands of them when you count all the rural telephone companies and co-ops that once existed up until the 1960's and even beyond.

For example, the small unincorporated town of Cowichie, WA in Yakima County was one such small town that had a co-op style phone company.  A friend and fellow collector bought a shed full of 302's from what used to be that company a couple years ago.  All of those 302's were Western Electric, but the non-Bell types.
-Bill G

Sargeguy

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't they technically 251s and not 302s?  Or were model 302s also sold?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

That's a good point, and I, for one, am not sure on that detail.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Phonesrfun

I looked on Paul's site too, but it doesn't answer the question as to whether the 302 was also sold to independents.  The 251 apparently was sold without a ringer, so what if the indepandent wanted a vanilla phone with a ringer?  Did they buy a 251 and also buy a ringer and then install the ringer themselves? 

Generally, with the 300 series, the actual 251 versus 302 model was not identified with a stamp on the base, so from what I know, I don't think we can tell.

Probably a good point for a discussion all the way around.
-Bill G

paul-f

Look again, Bill.

there's a bit about suffix codes at the top of the page...

Typical Suffix codes - e.g. 302CW (See each set's BSPs for details)
  A - manual
  B - dial, numbers only
  C - dial, numbers and letters
  D - dial, party line (letters JMRW)

W - no Bell System markings

- - - - -

Most members of the 300 family  - including the 302 - were available from distributors, such as Graybar.  the phone order code included the W suffix.  Since the only Bell Marking on most 300-series sets was on the handset handle, that's the only place we normally see the W on the set -- F1W.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

paul-f

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 29, 2010, 05:19:56 PM
Generally, with the 300 series, the actual 251 versus 302 model was not identified with a stamp on the base, so from what I know, I don't think we can tell.

Oh?

They were usually only marked with the mounting code AB1, but are occasionally found marked 251B as well.

A 302 without a bottom stamp should have the mounting code H1 marked on the housing.

Phonesrfun

I have never seen a 302 marked as a 302.  I have, of course seen the H1 on the inside of the mount all the time.  I don't have any other models other than 302's so I have not seen the 251 stamped on the base.

I have seen 5302 refurbs stamped 5302. 
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

paul-f

These are extra unusual in that they also have the color code in the stamping.

tjmack99

I was surprised that my 302 (F1W) had NO stamp on the bottom at all, but did have the H1 on the inside of the shell. I guess with these phones that is not so unusual.
Thanks for all of the comments and discussion, this is very interesting.
Tim

Jim Stettler

Quote from: tjmack99 on December 28, 2010, 06:16:56 PM
I understand that the 302 (and other) phones with the F1W handset were made by WE for sale to Non-Bell System companies. Is there any listing of who those smaller companies were?

Getting back to <original> topic inquiry:

I think The trade magazines published directories of the in dependants.

The largest trade magazine was/is probably "Telephony". {I hope I got the name right.}

I think they published a Yearbook with company profiles.These would be your best source for Independent Telco info.
JMO,
Jim S.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.