"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hair Product with Peroxide, Worked Great on Turquoise Phone

Started by 11furby11, April 07, 2011, 10:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11furby11

Hi Everyone
I am posting some pictures of a Turquoise wall phone I just picked up on E-bay.  It is an amazing transformation with a product I found in the Pharmacy in the hair dye section.  It is called "White Magic." It contains 30% peroxide.  
The Beauty Hair Supply Store would not sell me any professional grade peroxide without a hairdressing licence.  She did however suggest that I go to the Pharmacy and purchase a hair dye, and take the bottle of peroxide out of a hair dye kit.  I didn't have to do that, as when I got to the Pharmacy, there was a 100ml. bottle of 30% grade peroxide called "White Magic."  It is like a liquid paste, so I didn't have to mix it with anything.  The cost? $1.99
Check this out.

Greg G.

More details on your process.  How thick did you apply it, how long did you leave it on, did you put it under a light?  BTW, some beauty supply places will sell to the general public.  Around here it's Sally's Beauty Supply stores.  I also wonder if the cream version of peroxide is the same thing.  Does it list any other ingredients on the bottle?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

11furby11

The product has the consistency of a creme rinse.  I put it in the sun for 4 hours (inside the house  right beside my patio door).  I didn't mix anything with it.  The ingredients are listed in this order: water, 30%peroxide,cetyl alcohol, steatryl alcohol, sodium lauryl, sulfate, celeareth 5, sodium stannate, and phosphoric acid.
Just a light coat, brushed on with a paint brush.  Then, use a tooth brush to swirl it lightly, this evens it out.

Greg G.

Quote from: 11furby11 on April 08, 2011, 12:28:24 PM
The product has the consistancy of a creame rinse.  I put it in the sun for 4 hours (inside the house  right beside my padio door).  I didn't mix anything with it.  The ingredients are listed inthis order: water, 30%peroxide,cetyl alcohol, steatryl alcohol, sodium lauryl, sulfate, celeareth 5, sodium stannate, and phosphoric acid.

A lot more ingredients than the clear peroxide.  Maybe the cream version is different, but the clear 40% only lists water, peroxide, and phosphoric acid.  Did it dry out at all during the time in the sun?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

11furby11

I had it in the morning sun, so it stayed a bit greasy.  Once and a while, I took a soft damp toothbrush and just swirled the formula around lightly.  Other than that, it was the sun and the product.  I am going to do another one next week. 

Greg G.

Quote from: 11furby11 on April 08, 2011, 08:57:03 PM
I had it in the morning sun, so it stayed a bit greasy.  Once and a while, I took a soft damp toothbrush and just swirled the formula around lightly.  Other than that, it was the sun and the product.  I am going to do another one next week.  

Take pics of each stage of the process.  Retro-bright has been proven that it doesn't work well with colors, and many people (like me) detest sanding, so you may have stumbled on to something if it works as well with your other phone too.
- Mike Row
e

11furby11

Hi
I didn't get your e-mail in time, I did the other turquoise phone, and the results are great!!  The phone was a teal green with the dial and ear pieces a turquiose blue.  Check this out.

11furby11

I put some of the "White Magic" product on in a couple of places where it still showed a bit of a greeny colour. This time I just put it on, and didn't swirl it gently with a tooth brush. That was a bit of a mistake, because the brush I used to apply it had wide bristles, so my formula didn't go on as evenly as last time.  Thus some greeny streaks.  It is better to apply it with a brush, and then lightly massage it in with a fine toothbrush.  This evens the formula out smoothly.  I reapplied more of the stuff where there were streaks.   As you can see, the consistency is like a hair creme rinse.  
Seriously, cheap and easy.  Just wear rubber gloves because this crap will cause your skin to turn white, and it burns if you don't realize you got a bit on your skin by accident.

DavePEI

Quote from: 11furby11 on April 09, 2011, 08:07:39 PM
I put some of the "White Magic" product on in a couple of places where it still showed a bit of a greeny colour. T

Is there any maker information on the White Magic bottle? I ask because I did a Google search for it, and couldn't find what sounded anything like it. I kept coming up with results for tooth whitening products. What is its stated use?

Is it a bleach itself, or do you have to put powdered bleach in it?

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

More information about White Magic and where to find it would be appreciated.  I might want to try to smuggle a bottle back from Canada.

Larry

Ed D

Hey guys,

It's like the White Magic is nonexistent, Google brings up nothing.  Methinks this product is the same thing - available at Sally's Beauty Supply...

http://www.sallybeauty.com/30V-creme-developer/SLNCAR62,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

All this seems to be is a 30 Volume Creme Developer.  The link is to a 4 ounce (118 ml) bottle.

It could work!

Ed

Greg G.

Quote from: Ed D on April 09, 2011, 11:29:35 PM
Hey guys,

It's like the White Magic is nonexistent, Google brings up nothing.  Methinks this product is the same thing - available at Sally's Beauty Supply...

http://www.sallybeauty.com/30V-creme-developer/SLNCAR62,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

All this seems to be is a 30 Volume Creme Developer.  The link is to a 4 ounce (118 ml) bottle.

It could work!

Ed

I went by the SBS down the road from me today.  The peroxide cream version is not the same thing, the ingredients are different.  I asked if they carried White Magic, they did not.  I couldn't find it at Walgreen's either.  I have some time tomorrow, I'll go by SBS again and compare the ingredients of WM with the developer you found.
- Mike Row
e

11furby11

Hi Guys
The "White Magic" is in the hair dye section, and yes, there is a powdered bleach that you add to it, IF you are doing streaks in your hair.  I just bought the peroxide part of it.  It is distributed by a company in Montreal, Quebec  called: "Besco Beauty Corp."  It comes in a 20 volume creme, and a 30 volume creme (this is the one I used).  As I said, I got it in a Pharmacy called "Pharmasave" for those of you close to the Canadian border.

I just did a "google" search, and Besco may be linked with "Keystone Labratories."  If this is the case, it seems to be distributed across the States and Canada.  Hope this helps.
Sherry

Greg G.

I'll take another look when I'm in Walgreen or Bartell.  If I can't find it, I'm thinking of getting the 30% creme version of peroxide and experiment with it, but, I don't have a faded phone to do that with.  Maybe I'll find one at the upcoming phone show.
- Mike Row
e

stub

Sherry,
            :o That is a great job there ;D  I wish I had found out about this product before I started all that sanding. Keep up the good work.
             BTW how is the dial?    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield