News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 555 PBX - just flew one in last weekend, hoping to get working

Started by rglenn, July 04, 2020, 08:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rglenn

RB was right!  Fanning out the wires at the end of the cut gray cable corrected the random extension light issue.  I think the PBX is about 80% working. 
Next I want to see if the dial and operator station can be restored to functionality.

RB

Plug in OP set. Make sure SPLIT switch is turned to LEFT
Plug in a Right cord from one of the sets to a station.
Turn switch to Right. "they should all be in the OUT and UP position when not used".
Pick up station Rec, and talk. OP should be on line, and can hear and talk to Station.

rglenn

I was unable to hear the station following these instructions -
Plug in OP set. Make sure SPLIT switch is turned to LEFT
Plug in a Right cord from one of the sets to a station.
Turn switch to Right. "they should all be in the OUT and UP position when not used".
Pick up station Rec, and talk. OP should be on line, and can hear and talk to Station.

I was able to dial out once using left cord into trunk.  The dial tone was very faint in the operator headset.  I could not get it to work a second time.

Babybearjs

make sure you research the schematic.... it took me forever to understand the wiring of some of the 1A1 system parts.... just study the schematics and you should be able to trace the problems....
John

rglenn

Ok.  I've made progress.  Now the trunk works, the extensions work, the operator station works, and the dial works.  The only improvement I would like to make is to the volume on the receiver for the operator headset is very low.  I can hear the dial tone and callers speaking but not very loudly.  The transmitter is loud and clear.  I have tried (2) headsets to rule that out as the issue.

RB

Glad to hear you are making progress!
What did you have to do to get it working?
Also, what do the op sets look like?
Are they both identical?

rglenn

I found one of the wires disconnected on the operator headset input box.  I soldered it.  One headset is a type #53 and the other is type #52.

RB

A couple things.
By headset input box, I assume you mean a matchbox sized box mounted under the deck, with 2 holes in it?
How did the other wires look? I assume there were 4 total?
Did you try wiggling the plug while listening?
Also, have you tried the test with another cord set?
Also, try switching the SPLIT switch a few times while listening.
and check its wires too.
If you can check the dial wires and the switch adjustments.
Last, for now... there are a couple relays associated with the op pack.
There could be dirty/misadjusted switches in them too.
They are not easy to get too.
A gentle tap on the housing while listening, may produce a different result, but be careful.