News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New In Box - Original Ivory 302

Started by mazda_matt, February 22, 2017, 02:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mazda_matt

Just got this beauty in today. Original ivory 302 brand new in the box. I tried to open the phone but it has shrunk around the base and I was unable to look inside. Dates look to be 7-54

Phone has no cracks whatsoever. Amazing that someone kept this around in the box for so long.

-MM

oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

TelePlay

Nice phone. How much?

It's very important for you to get the housing off the base a quickly as you can just in case the "tightness" is nearing the cracking point of a corner, and then filing/cutting/bending down the metal corners to relieve the shrinkage caused stress.

Ah, you may already know this and there are posts somewhere on the forum on how to both remove and fix the issue.

Again, very nice phone.

mazda_matt

Quote from: TelePlay on February 22, 2017, 02:50:36 PM
Nice phone. How much?

It's very important for you to get the housing off the base a quickly as you can just in case the "tightness" is nearing the cracking point of a corner, and then filing/cutting/bending down the metal corners to relieve the shrinkage caused stress.

Ah, you may already know this and there are posts somewhere on the forum on how to both remove and fix the issue.

Again, very nice phone.

Thanks for the links. I have made the base smaller on other plastic 302's by cutting and bending, but this one is on so tight. Never seen it that bad.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

unbeldi

This was the end of the line for colored 302s from the factory.  This must be the latest by my record keeping.
And also the end of the use of P-340016 number plate that is on this No.6 dial.  It would be very interesting to take the finger wheel off and see the date on the number plate.

When the 302's made a short comeback in 1955, they were assembled in the shops from recycled bases and housings molded from CAB, rather than this shrinking type of Tenite, and the dials had 164A number plates.

Placing the set into an environment of hot air—hot car is probably still a stretch right now—might solve the problem of removing the housing.

Does the box still contain the original strip of number card masks ?

mazda_matt

Quote from: unbeldi on February 22, 2017, 03:12:38 PM
This was the end of the line for colored 302s from the factory.  This must be the latest by my record keeping.
And also the end of the use of P-340016 number plate that is on this No.6 dial.  It would be very interesting to take the finger wheel off and see the date on the number plate.

When the 302's made a short comeback in 1955, they were assembled in the shops from recycled bases and housings molded from CAB, rather than this shrinking type of Tenite, and the dials had 164A number plates.

Placing the set into an environment of hot air—hot car is probably still a stretch right now—might solve the problem of removing the housing.

Does the box still contain the original strip of number card masks ?

Thank you. I will take off the finger wheel and get some pics of the plate for you.

I will try it out.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

poplar1

Housing may be "1 7 54 1" = January 7, 1954.

No P-340016 (black dot) number plates have been reported here later than 1st quarter 1954. And these overlapped the 164As by III 53.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.