News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early Black Princess 702B

Started by unbeldi, October 04, 2013, 02:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Western Electric is said to have introduced the 702B upgrade to the first generation Princess line (701B, 1959-1962) in 1963. Along with the technical upgrade with a built-in ringer came some new colors. Among them is black.

I came across a black 702B Princess dated December 1962.  It is not surprising I guess that manufacturing was in progress before the introduction date/year, but finding one of the first 702B in BLACK seemed special, a milestone example.

david@london

wow!..............looks like mint condition, too.
does it have a transformer ?
is it correct that western electric introduced a black model after jackie kennedy requested one ?

paul-f

Great find!  I haven't seen many 1962 702Bs.

Russ Cowell published some info on the Jackie Kennedy rumor in the December 2012 Singing Wires.  The article included a photo of a black 702B dated 3 - 63 that was reportedly used at the Kennedy home.  The set is on display in the Virginia Telephone Museum.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE40FAN

Wow, where did you find it?  Looks like it was never used!!

unbeldi

Quote from: david@london on October 04, 2013, 02:34:14 PM
is it correct that western electric introduced a black model after jackie kennedy requested one ?
You know... she never actually mentioned it to me.

unbeldi

It's little, it's lovely, and it lights.

But, I had to add the transformer.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

WesternElectricBen

unbeldi

Keep it coming... lol.   You'll get another pic.

Tx.

brshaffer

Was there any required wiring changes to light it? 

I have a black 702BM and a transformer, but haven't hooked it up yet.  I read somewhere that the transformer could send voltage back over the line and get you a call from your local telco pretty quick.

unbeldi

Quote from: brshaffer on October 05, 2013, 09:58:30 AM

I have a black 702BM and a transformer, but haven't hooked it up yet.  I read somewhere that the transformer could send voltage back over the line and get you a call from your local telco pretty quick.
The loop is on the green and red leads, and power is on black and yellow. You have to keep them electrically separate. Verify that the telephone set is wired correctly. If you are running power over your house wiring, make sure the second pair is not connected to an active second line somewhere. But it's best to not run power through the walls, there is a limit on the length of wiring for the transformer, it outputs just enough power for short cords, or you will get a dimmer light. The BSPs recommend against using even a 25 ft. cord.

The only CO my phones connect to is in my basement. No external dial tone.

unbeldi

Quote from: paul-f on October 04, 2013, 03:29:25 PM
Great find!  I haven't seen many 1962 702Bs.

Russ Cowell published some info on the Jackie Kennedy rumor in the December 2012 Singing Wires.  The article included a photo of a black 702B dated 3 - 63 that was reportedly used at the Kennedy home.  The set is on display in the Virginia Telephone Museum.
Thanks for pointing out the TCI article.

The essay essentially tells the story, relayed by the accounts of a Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone supervisor, that in late 1962 into 1963 Kennedy built a retreat home, called Wexford, in Atoka by Middleburg, VA.  The story tells that eight outlets were installed in the home, and that a dozen black princesses were specially ordered (extras to keep some spares) due to the persuasive powers of Jackie.

So I spent a little time researching this, and found Wexford interior pictures. They indeed appear to show Princess telephones installed in the master bed room, one on each night stand, but they were white, rather than black. Another rooms indeed shows a black Princess!

Whether one should believe these "eye witness" accounts, is anyone's guess. However, a perhaps fascinating tidbit of information is that my black Princess came from an estate in Strasburg, VA, ca. 36  miles away from Wexford, further west.  My phone had a handwritten piece of cardboard as dial card with the exchange code 548. It appears there was an exchange named KIng in Alexandria.

So, one thing appears certain, C & P Telephone Co. did have something to do with early black Princesses, but then... they were made in Indianapolis, and could have been sent anywhere.

The TCI essay also mentions a little what happened to the Princesses installed at Wexford when telephone service was terminated, when Jackie sold the estate shorty after the assassination. By the account, the sets were removed and a supervisor had a plaque installed on one of them, which is the piece in the museum today.

From the information I found, it appears that Wexford was used only twice by the family together, just in the last few weeks before November, although Jackie had spent time there before.

PS: Below a couple of pics, one of the master bedroom at Wexford, no information about date, or authenticity of decor, but the second picture does show the black Princess.

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on October 05, 2013, 01:06:45 PM
Quote from: brshaffer on October 05, 2013, 09:58:30 AM

I have a black 702BM and a transformer, but haven't hooked it up yet.  I read somewhere that the transformer could send voltage back over the line and get you a call from your local telco pretty quick.
The loop is on the green and red leads, and power is on black and yellow. You have to keep them electrically separate. Verify that the telephone set is wired correctly. If you are running power over your house wiring, make sure the second pair is not connected to an active second line somewhere. But it's best to not run power through the walls, there is a limit on the length of wiring for the transformer, it outputs just enough power for short cords, or you will get a dimmer light. The BSPs recommend against using even a 25 ft. cord.

The only CO my phones connect to is in my basement. No external dial tone.

Correct about not using 25-foot mounting cord because of the added resistance of the tinsel wire used. However, the transformer can be up to 250 feet away using "standard inside wire" from the transformer to the connecting block.

BSP Section 502-701-100
Issue 1, February 1970
AT&T Standard

(found in Station Installation Handbook, Volume 2, Second Edition, Sept. 1970, New England Telephone)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on October 31, 2013, 02:44:16 PM
Correct about not using 25-foot mounting cord because of the added resistance of the tinsel wire used. However, the transformer can be up to 250 feet away using "standard inside wire" from the transformer to the connecting block.

BSP Section 502-701-100
Issue 1, February 1970
AT&T Standard

(found in Station Installation Handbook, Volume 2, Second Edition, Sept. 1970, New England Telephone)

Ah, yes. Thank you for getting the exact number. I remember, that I couldn't remember the figure when I wrote that. I am actually surprised it is that long for this transformer, because the internal impedance of this transformer is so high, but standard inside wiring in the 1960s used probably lower gauge wire than today?