News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Reynolds Aluminum?

Started by Tim, May 03, 2010, 04:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Just wondering if anyone has seen markings like this before on the inside base of a phone.  It reads Reynolds Aluminum, as well as LAD 24S - O... I'm guessing the LAD is the end of something and the O starts something else....but, no idea what it would be.
- Tim -

Tim

Whoops...meant to put this in the Collector's Corner part, not the auctions......
- Tim -

Dennis Markham

Tim, I can move it there.

Is that a Galion phone?  It seems I've seen some printing like that on an aluminum base but I don't recall actually reading the words Reynold's Aluminum.  Interesting.

Tim

Yes, Dennis.  It is from one of the North Electric/Leich telephones that I mentioned in the thread about cleaning out my grandparent's attic. 
- Tim -

JorgeAmely

It will be interesting to check if in October 1946 Reynolds was a supplier of this aluminum stock to Galion in Ohio.

Any detectives around here?
Jorge

Dan/Panther

I'm sure they bought flat stock from Reynold's, I'm kind of surprised they didn't wash it to remove the Reynold's markings. Then again, ,maybe Reynold's gave them a price break NOT to remove it. ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

I think the aluminum base sets were from a rebuilder.
They also made copy cat housings I don't recall the intials but it is three intials, I want to say TIE, but I don't think that is it. The intials were molded into the repro housings.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Tim

Quote from: Jim S. on May 03, 2010, 05:55:42 PM
I think the aluminum base sets were from a rebuilder.
They also made copy cat housings I don't recall the intials but it is three intials, I want to say TIE, but I don't think that is it. The intials were molded into the repro housings.
Jim

I was wondering if it would have been some sort of rebuild as well, Jim.  Mainly because on the outside bottom of the phone,

"Made by
The North Electric MFG. Co.
Galion, OH"

is not there.

But, on the other hand the remains of the stamping that says Cycle Ringer is there....(I think it says 50, but the 5 is very hard to make out) As well as the October of '46 date on the inside that Jorge referenced.
- Tim -

Jim Stettler

Tim,

Does the housing seem to be bakelite or soft plastic?
I think all the repro housings were soft. Some North sets  had aluminum alloy bases, some had steel. The repro bases were straight aluminum and "seemed" different.

If the base "seems" different it is probably repro. The reynolds stamp makes me think it is repro base from a rebuilder.

These are just opinions, I havn't ever studied the North sets closely.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

Here's one of those knock-off's.  I recently worked on one.  They say Telephone Engineers on the back.

Paul F shows one here too:

http://www.paul-f.com/north.htm

LarryInMichigan

Dennis,

Is that "knock-off" phone built on a North (or North copy) base?  Mine is built on a 302 base.  The North base is larger than the 302.

Larry

Tim

Quote from: Jim S. on May 03, 2010, 06:16:54 PM
Tim,

Does the housing seem to be bakelite or soft plastic?

It actually doesn't have the "Galion" or Galion knock off housing to it.  It is a Leich housing, so I believe it is a soft plastic.  It is definitely not bakelite.

- Tim -

LarryInMichigan

So is this base from one of the Leich AE80-style conversion phones?  The Leich shells are soft plastic.  Maybe Leich also made North-like bases to go with their housings.

Larry

Tim

Yes Larry, it is from the base of one of the conversions.

Good thought about Leich also making a base.  I had never thought of that.
- Tim -

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 03, 2010, 06:30:17 PM
Here's one of those knock-off's.  I recently worked on one.  They say Telephone Engineers on the back.

Paul F shows one here too:

http://www.paul-f.com/north.htm
That is the ones I was thinking of.
Jim
You live, You learn,