News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell System Booth Fan?

Started by Doug Rose, April 15, 2021, 08:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found this on eBay and won with an offer of $35. It came yesterday, it is solid and works and really dirty and rusty on cage.

There is no on off so it worked on an external switch.

This should be fun  ::)

I will work on it today....Doug
Kidphone

RB

Nice!
Hang it up over your desk, where the..."Operator" sets?

Doug Rose

Cleaned up better than expected after getting the cage off  :(...Doug
Kidphone

Witty

Wow...what a nice find. These must be pretty rare I would think.
That looks awesome, I want one!

Ken
Ken

Doug Rose

Quote from: Witty on April 15, 2021, 01:44:26 PM
Wow...what a nice find. These must be pretty rare I would think.
That looks awesome, I want one!

Ken
I have never seen one that looks like this. It is secured in the wood block professionally, just different.

Maybe one of the Payphone guys will know

They usually look like this ..Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

I'd say that is either a wall fan or was mounted to something like an operator desk. The wooden stand has been made so it can be a moveable desk fan.
It has cleaned up very nicely.
:)

HowardPgh

The fan looks like one you see in a vehicle like a truck or a bus. How big is it? What make is it? It looks like its mounted on a pipe thread.
Howard

Witty

The listing below calls it a Delco brand. They did make many fans. The 2x6 makes the fan width to be about, or little over 7" I would guess? That small size would suggest a more commercial use I think. A truck or bus would seem very possible.
The extra dense wire cage would make me think it was used where accidental contact with the fan could be more probable.
Maybe the markings on the tag could lead to it's actual design use?
I think it was probably made by Delco for the Bell System, maybe in an office setting, plant manufacturing setting, or possible truck use.

Ken
Ken

Doug Rose

With the Bell System Plaque, it had to be used in a BS application.

Not sure how this would secure in a vehicle with the wood block, but it states GM on the specs ...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

I'm not sure that wood block is original to the fan unit. It may have been added to adapt the fan from a fixed (vertically) mounted piece (it looks like the head pivots so can be adjusted), into a moveable table fan.

Below, another variation...

...we've had 'phone lamp' - now we have 'phone fan'.  ;D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 16, 2021, 08:38:18 AM
With the Bell System Plaque, it had to be used in a BS application.

Not sure how this would secure in a vehicle with the wood block, but it states GM on the specs ...Doug

Yes, GM owned, maybe still does own, Delco. I think the wood block was added by a previous owner for display purposes. The metal flange would have bolted to the body or a bracket if used in a vehicle.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quite a few of these fans show up via Google. Here is another. Mounted off centre on that wood block, which makes me think these mounts were not 'factory'.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Witty

What an interesting history setting these fans must have had. I can envision them in a Bell Labs setting somewhere, either in a managers office, maybe near a technicians work bench while putting together candlestick phones. Fans were very much in use back in the day, especially on hot summer days. I wouldn't be surprised if there are plant photos somewhere that one of these show up in.
That picture of the 'phone fan' could be a perfect example of a technician combining the two.
Nice find to have Doug!
Ken

poplar1

Since it is rated 115 Volts AC 60 cycles, rather than 12 VDC, I don't think it was used in a vehicle.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Witty

After more online research I found that the Delco Appliance Division was created in 1930 and owned by General Electric, with the plant in Rochester NY. I think your model 800 was probably an early version because of the low serial number 68-69? It is said Delco made small fans for office and home use. This time date falls into place with some of the later made candlestick phones and earlier desk sets in the Bell System. Maybe there are historical records somewhere that could pinpoint that serial number's exact date.

If I had it, and a spare candlestick base, I'd create a 'phone fan' also. I really like that look.

Ken
Ken