News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg-Carlson

Started by PSGreg, December 03, 2008, 04:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I don't know if they qualify as being rare but they do cost more than their black counter-parts.  If you want one right now and have deep pockets, Oldphoneworks has a Western Electric, original, not painted for $700.  The Northern Electric versions are somewhat cheaper.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/_search.php?page=1&q=ivory+354

They don't sell anywhere near that when I see them on eBay.  You just have to be patient.  As I said, the plastic on those will often shrink over the metal base and crack the corners so that is something to watch for when shopping.

bingster

Ohhhh, sorry... I totally missed the 354 bit.  Yeah, an ivory 354 in really good condition is a find.  Although a good ivory 354 is more common than a good ivory 302, which is odd since there were way more ivory 302s than 354s.  The reason is that the 354 doesn't clamp down on it's base plate the same way a 302 does, and can slip over the plate ends as the case shrinks.  But they can crack, too, and they can get discolored.  And even the grubby ones can be pricey.  I got a perfect one a couple years ago for $150, and that was a real bargain.

Like Dennis says... Be patient, and you'll see one come up on ebay.
= DARRIN =

PSGreg

Hi Guys,
                   Lots of interesting info here but I think my original question somehow got lost/confused with another member's question about ringers.

The lime green phone I have pictured on this thread is one I have a problem with.  4 pages later I can find an answer to everyone's questions but mine.

When I plug this phone in it does absolutely nothing.  No dial tone. Nothing.

Is there somewhere I can find a clear wiring diagram or a high resolution picture fo this particular model not the earlier 500?

Thanks,
              Greg

bingster

I think the problem is that nobody has a specific diagram for such an unusual configuration.  But if your telephone contains the same markings on the terminals as a 500, then a 500 diagram should work for you.  The terminals may be in completely different places and in different configurations, but if they bear the same letter markings, then any 500 diagram should give you a working phone.  The consensus is, however, that nothing will make it ring.

The first thing to check, though, is that the red and green wires of the grey mounting cord are under the terminals marked L1 and L2, if you have terminals marked that way.

I don't know of any online diagrams or photos of a Stromberg that's constructed in this particular way, though, sorry.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

I think that Bingster is right on about how to wire the phone up, if it has the same marking on the network then any 500 diagram should work.  As for the ringer you may be able to replace it with another, non party line job. 

Dan

greg, My orange was dead too, completely dead. The block was marked L1, L2, K, GN, G, etc. I copied a 500 diagram(the kellogg one they talked about somewhere else in this forum). I was able to get it t call out, receive calls, but not ring.

If you post a picture of your "innards" I am confident there are enough smart guys on this forum to get it up and running for you.

Merry Christmas and good luck!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

PSGreg

Thanks Dan,
                           I posted pics earlier in this thread but I'm afraid the resolution wasn't very good.  I'll see if I can post some better pics.
Best,
          Greg

PSGreg

Eureka!
                  After many hours I have bungled (for lack of a better term) my way to success.. The Stromberg-Carlson is working just fine.  Incoming, outgoing, just as it was meant to be.  Thanks to all for the input.

Dennis, I have a question for you. 
While my ringer seems to ring OK it is a little on the quiet side.  As if the "LOUD" adjustment is turned all the way down.  It is clearly audible in the same room when it rings, but you would probably not hear it from another room.  I removed the ringer to check it and it does not seem to have any markings, similar to your photos with the red inked cycles marking anywhere.  I'm not sure how I can determine if this is, in fact, a frequency style ringer.  If it is, can I simply replace this ringer with a non-frequency style ringer? Or could this quiet ring be due to some other cause?
Thanks again,
                        Greg