News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 10-57 Ivory 500 - DATES

Started by Dewdrop, March 19, 2011, 10:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewdrop

Latest arrival. Received the phone today. It has a LOT of matching dates. Had no idea what I was getting until I started opening it up and looking inside.

On the bottom where the LOUD is has residue from duct tape. That's where the matching dates end. The volume wheel (unsure of term) is plastic and is broken. I guess I should start looking for a 10-57 ringer.

In your best guess, how hard would be to find just the ringer part with that date.

Bottom date: 10-57
Dial date: 10-57
Net date: 10-57
Housing date: 10-57
Handset inside date: 10-57
Receiver: 10-18-57
Transmitter: 10-18-57
Caps: 10-57
Ringer: who knows
Handset cord: 57 (you may be able to see that date in the ringer pic

I'm pretty sure the color is Ivory. It's the same as the inside. Is there a certain area of the housing or handset that has that information?

The yellow housing date was HARD to capture. I'm missing the center part of the dial. What's that part called? I need to find about three of those.

Can you tell I'm excited about this one? Check out the condition of the feet? May need one more posting for all the pics.

This was an ebay purchase.
Debbie

Dewdrop

2 more pics
Debbie

JorgeAmely

Debbie:

This phone looks very nice. Congratulations! A ringer from 10-57 shouldn't be too difficult to find. I'll go check my stash. In the mean time, check this out:

http://www.life123.com/question/What-Happened-on-October-4-1957

or ... Google the phrase "what happened in October 1957" for more choices.

Jorge

paul-f

Quote from: Dewdrop on March 19, 2011, 10:19:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the color is Ivory. It's the same as the inside. Is there a certain area of the housing or handset that has that information?

The yellow housing date was HARD to capture. I'm missing the center part of the dial. What's that part called? I need to find about three of those.

That's a great one Debbie!

There is no reliable place to find color codes on 500 sets.  The most likely places to find color codes are on the back of the dial -- 50 is ivory -- and occasionally stamped on the bottom plate.

However, these are usually not reliable, as the plastics could easily be replaced in refurb without changing the codes.  Most of the marked dials in my collection have number plates that don't match the color code on the back.

Since almost all your parts are date-matched and the color looks like ivory, it's almost certain that's what you have.  It's really a treat to see one that complete.

I hope a ringer turns up soon.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dewdrop

Thanks Jorge and paul-f.

What's a safe cleaner to use for the duct tape residue on the bottom (base) of the phone?

It arrived in a very clean condition. There weren't any insect or spider remains or even dust and dirt inside.
Debbie

JorgeAmely

Debbie:

I would try some rubbing alcohol. My ringer is 3-57.
Jorge

bingster

A correctly dated ringer shouldn't be too hard to find.  Ringers aren't dated to the month, but rather to the quarter, so you don't have to be as exact (thankfully).  You just need a IV 57 ringer.

Great phone, btw!
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

From what I have seen The ringers from 1949-1958 or so were dated by month. My 1955 has a 11-55 date while my 1959 has IV-59.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dewdrop

I have a 1-57 black WE and a 2-57 black WE.

On the 2-57 ringer it has stamped in red
C4A
2 57

I'll open up the 1-57 in the morning to check the ringer date.

Thanks Jorge, I'll try the rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky tape.
Debbie

bingster

Ahh, I must not have noticed the month-dated ringers on my older ones.  Then again, I only have a handful.
= DARRIN =

Dewdrop

Where can I find the center part of the plastic dial that is missing? And excuse this one: what is that part called?

I need about three of those.

Debbie

HarrySmith

What goes in the center on the "soft center" fingerwheels is a dial card and a celluloid cover. Available from our vendors or cut you own from any thin clear plastic. I will be going through my box of ringers and will let you know if I have your date or close to it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dewdrop

Thank you, Thank you very much Harry.
Debbie

HarrySmith

Hi Debbie, the closest date I have is third quarter 1958. III 58. If you want it, it is yours, PM or email me with your address and I will send it out tomorrow.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

Very nice soft plastic Ivory 500, Debbie.  Nice job on that one.  I will check my ringers too for a 10-57.  Do you need the three prong card retainer clip that goes behind the finger wheel?  Or are you just talking about the celluloid disc that you need?