News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

odd We 302

Started by wds, January 22, 2014, 04:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I tried to grab this one for cheap - it was $5 going into the last hour, but someone wanted it more than me.  Has anyone see a base like this one?  I wonder what is going on with the ringer?
Dave

HarrySmith

More than likely the ringer mount bushings fell apart and this was someone's homemade repair.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

Doesn't seem home made.  The two screws are recessed, and the third ringer rivet isn't there.  Hopefully someone here on the forum bought it and will post better pictures.
Dave

Doug Rose

Interesting....do you have the auction number...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

You are right, I did not notice the missing screw :-[
I had a few 302's that had odd screws stuck in to hold the ringer after the rubber fell apart, looked very similar.
Very curious. We need to see the inside >:(
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

Dave

poplar1

Also missing are the 3 holes for the rivets for the usual ringer mount; so I don't think this was a repair.

The rivets are in a triangular configuration near the left front foot until c. 1952. 1952-1954 they are inverted 180 degrees and there are two additional holes on these late ones corresponding to where the old ringer mount rivets were.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

I also see a stamp in Orange near the rear mouse hole and it appears there was a large sticker near those 2 ringer mount screws.

Nice crack in the front! Smaller one in back corner & a broken ear! Number ring scratched pretty good numbers 5 through 1 and fingerstop in rough shape!
Too much money in my opinion, unless it is something "scarce" ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

And the 2 holes without screws in the photo are further apart than the rivets found on both the pre-'52 and '52-'54 302s.

rdelius

I had some NOS  baseplates that were ex military with those same countersunk baseplate holes

poplar1

Quote from: rdelius on January 22, 2014, 07:04:51 PM
I had some NOS  baseplates that were ex military with those same countersunk baseplate holes

Number card says dial 333 for Fire---was that a typical military number for fire? If so, this might be an early plastic 302 c. 1942-1944 sold to the military. Finger stop is pre-1946.

HarrySmith

I was going to suggest the stamp looks like it may be an MFP stamp and the label that was removed was a good size for a Signal Corps label. Too bad they could not focus better so we could read the stamp.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

I was bidding in hopes that was a 4h dial.  The bottom plate was very intriguing.
Dave