News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How Much Would You Pay For Your Birthday Phone?

Started by rp2813, January 26, 2014, 09:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

I know it's a subjective question, and that for the majority of members here, in WECO terms we're talking 302, 500, 5302, 1500 or 2500.

In my case it's a 500, and it's matching dates except for transmitter element.  It's in decent condition but has no mounting cord so can't be tested, and the seller is asking $50.  500's in as good or better shape from the same period can be had for much less.  There's no nice way to suggest to the seller that he/she is asking too much.

Still, this is the first birthday phone I've come across in the past few years that I've been looking for one.  I'm tempted to let the listing expire because I doubt the phone will sell, then contact the seller and make a lower offer.

I hate to let this phone get away, and there's always the chance it might.  I'm torn.

Any insights to share?

Thanks,

Ralph

Ralph

Dennis Markham

Ralph, first of all it's good to see you back on the Forum.  I think $50 is a reasonable price to pay for your "birthday" phone.  Especially if it's one from the 50's.  If you miss it, you may always kick yourself for letting it get away. 

I remember when I saw my birthday phone on eBay some years ago.  The seller (who I "knew" through the phone clubs, etc) had posted photos of the housing date, transmitter and receiver capsules, etc.  It was my birthday in 1955.  The starting price was low but I didn't want to miss it.  I contacted him and asked what he was expecting to get...I wanted the phone and would pay what he wanted.  It had no bids and had just been listed.  He said $50.  I didn't hesitate.  So that was at least 5 years ago...probably longer.  (Time flies when we're having fun).  So my vote is ask the questions you need to ask but don't let it slip by.  You've been looking this long.  You may not get a second chance.

You can always find a mounting cord for it.  I might even have something you can use.

~Dennis

RotarDad

Ralph - I would go ahead and buy it if having a b-day phone is important to you.  In my thinking, your time is valuable too.  If this one gets away, how long will you have to look before another one shows up?  One never knows.....   If you're concerned about the money (I think like that), then plan to sell something else on Ebay to balance things out.  I have often restored 500s from leftover parts after buying several to get other parts I needed, and then sold them to recoup costs.  Hope this helps!  Paul
Paul

rp2813

Thanks guys.  My phone collecting has been stagnant for a while because I already have more "spares" than I need.

Maybe I'll contact the seller and ask if I can just "buy it now," and have the auction end early.  I don't want to let on about why I want it, but then I wonder if my enthusiasm may cause the seller to think he/she has something special, when it's really only special to me, and keep the auction open.

I forgot to ask for a picture of the front of the housing, which is where the date would be for that period.  I think the phone has not been messed with, except for the coiled handset cord which could have been replaced at some point, so there's a good chance the housing has a matching date.  I would want it to.

Shipping is free, so that's something to consider.  Sometimes a phone + shipping can add up to nearly $50.

I've been mulling over the idea of starting to sell on eBay, but I've read that eBay has become somewhat seller-unfriendly, and it appears from my buying experiences that shipping arrangements are handled on line as opposed to buzzing to the Post Office to mail something off, so it sounds like there's some work to do up front before signing up.   

I have phones as well as other collectible odds and ends around here that if sold would likely exceed the cost of the birthday phone.

Thanks again for the input. 
Ralph

Dan/Panther

1949 Western Electric 500....

Wish in one hand and, Oh well never mind. I think you understand.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

rp2813

But Dan, don't you already have one?  I know it was kind of a basket case and you paid a hefty sum for it just to make sure it didn't get away, and I'm feeling the same way about the phone I'm pursuing. 

You have the next best thing to a '49 500 birthday phone, which odds are stacked against ever having existed. 

Maybe you could piece together a '49 5302 and overlook the fact that a '49 case and bezel aren't an option.
Ralph

Dennis Markham

Ralph, just make sure all the parts are dated appropriately.  Very often parts were changed when the cords were updated.  You don't want to end up with just another "spare".

rp2813

Well Dennis, your advice is timely.  I just returned here to provide an update.

I asked the seller to check the inside of the housing for a date.  It's not original, that is to say, no yellow date at bottom front, and instead has a molded 1962 date under the cradle.

I explained to the seller that the housing isn't original and she has come back to me advising she'd be open to an offer and sell it to me via BIN.

So my dilemma now is whether or not I could ever find a matching date housing in decent/restorable shape, and how much that would cost so I could use it as a basis to make a lower offer.

What do you think?  I think I may have a phone around here with a housing that's only off by a couple of months . . .

I'm off to an appointment but will check in here again later today.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice thus far.
Ralph

Dennis Markham

Glad you checked, Ralph.  Of course it's up to you to decide if you want to build on the base of the phone.  What month and year are you in search of for your b'day phone?

rp2813

Dennis, I'm looking for 9/54, and specifically for handset elements, 9/2/54.

I think the 1954 housing I have is slightly older, which would be plausible, if not matching.
Ralph

paul-f

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 26, 2014, 10:46:33 PM
1949 Western Electric 500....

Wish in one hand and, Oh well never mind. I think you understand.

I'm in the same boat, Dan.

Of course, we could look for birthday 302s to hold us until the 500s show up.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

tallguy58

I'm looking for a 5/58. Anyone out there have one?   ;)
Cheers........Bill

rp2813

LOL -- I think we need some sort birthday phone index.  Requests tend to get buried in the various threads that discuss them or are even exclusively dedicated to them. 

I'm barely computer literate compared to a lot of people here, but it seems there could be a way to provide access to a cross reference template, sorted by phone date,  that would allow people to enter the date of the phone they're seeking along with their user name, so it would be easy for anyone with phones that might fit the bill to check the list and possibly match them up with an interested party.

If I knew how to do it, I'd come up with something and offer it to Dennis as an upgrade.
Ralph

Sargeguy

I am really looking for a birthday phone.  Did I mention that I was born 1892?

Seriously though, I am not really interested in birthday phones since I was born in 67 and phones from that era aren't really what I collect.  I might buy a 5/67' 1500 if I saw one, but that's about it.  I am more interested in phones from where I am from not when.  I specialize in my local telcos. New England Telephone and Southern Massachusetts Telephone Company (but not Southern New England Telephone Company :o) marked stuff gets my attention, and anything from the Providence Telephone Company is practically an automatic purchase.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

rp2813

Yay!  The seller was very accommodating and wanted the phone to go to someone who appreciated it.

We worked out a deal for $30 BIN, and free shipping.  I saved $20 and she'll clear around $15 at least, I'd think.

Now to launch a hunt for a 9/2/54 housing.  Even an 8/54 would be plausible in this case, if not exactly matching.  Not even sure how to start with that endeavor, but will probably post a wish list on the appropriate board.  I got stuff to trade . . .

Here's a picture of the base -- this phone appears to be lightly used (except handset has dulled) and has survived without ever returning to the mother ship for refurbishing, so the hardest part is over.
Ralph