News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is rare about a 5E dial?

Started by Greg G., January 28, 2014, 06:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I normally don't like referencing auctions in progress, but this one has a short time left and no bidders.  I come across #5 dials all the time, or maybe I'm thinking of the 5H and not the 5E?  Bottom line is, what's special about it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261380933085
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

wds

Not rare.  I've bought these for $10.  Had a hard time selling it also.
Dave

poplar1

Other than the special finger stop and the phenol pulse pawl? I think it has the same contacts as a 2A but all 5 contacts are brought out to a terminal. Used on test boards, probably other applications as well.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Russ Kirk

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

HarrySmith

I was going to suggest it was a 20 PPS dial but I was not sure and could not find the other topic, thanks for locating that. In my opinion that makes it worth even less, since it won't work for a phone ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Despite some info in the linked topic, the 5E is *not* 20 PPS. The only 5-type dials that are 20 PPS are 5F and 5K.

5E is used "for PBX or Operator's 'A' position with circuit arranged for 10 pps."

Ref. Section C18.005 issue 4, February, 1963.

http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/3225-c18-005-00-i4-station-dials-rotary-type-tl

poplar1

20 pps will work on certain central office and pbx lines. I don't know about VOIP "lines."

Doug Rose

I have a 5F and I thought that was for a switchboard. What is the difference?...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 29, 2014, 04:38:53 PM
I have a 5F and I thought that was for a switchboard. What is the difference?...thanks...Doug

The difference in a 5E and a 5F is 10 pulses per second. Both are for switchboards.

5E=10 pps for switchboard
5F= 20 pps for switchboard
5F-5E=10 pps difference

Doug Rose

thanks David....still trying to stump you!
Kidphone

Greg G.

Ok, what's the 6U41 on this one?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

poplar1

Part of the kit of leased parts used in customer owned housings such as Decotel--Mickey Mouse, Candlestick, etc.