"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

584-DE

Started by marty, February 28, 2011, 10:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty

Hi All;
I just got a 584-DE subset for my Candlestick.. Which is Great... What does the DE stand for ???
THANK YOU Marty

bingster

Marty, the information I have lists the DE and DF variants as being extension ringers, rather than subsets.  They look like subsets, but they don't have the induction coil that the phone needs.  However, you should be able to easily mount an induction coil in it, which would turn it into a subset.
= DARRIN =

Phonesrfun

Quote from: bingster on February 28, 2011, 11:31:36 PM
Marty, the information I have lists the DE and DF variants as being extension ringers, rather than subsets.  They look like subsets, but they don't have the induction coil that the phone needs.  However, you should be able to easily mount an induction coil in it, which would turn it into a subset.
Marty:

According to Ralph Meyer's book, the 584 subset takes a #46 sidetone induction coil.  I don't see a diagram for the 584 on TCI, but the earlier 534 uses a single capacitor that serves a dual purpose for the ringing capacitor and for the talk circuit.  I think the later 584 may have had two capacitors or a single can with two caps in it.  For a candlestick non handset telephone a single cap would work just fine.  If you need help locating the #46 induction coil, I may be able to source one, although I don't have any spares lying around here.  If nothing else, a 101A induction coil from a 302 would work just fine, but was not the aestheticly correct one for the subset.  I have a couple of 101A's lying around.

By the way, what model is the candlestick?  If it is a 51AL or a #20, then it is sidetone, but if it is a 151AL which is antisidetone, you would want to use an antisidetone induction coil like the 101A anyway.

Marty, I have followed many of your posts as you have been laboring through the step switch project, both here and on the listserve.  Looks like you have really fallen head over heels for phones, like so many of us have.

If you don't know about Ralph Meyer's book "Old-Time Telephones! Design, History, and Restoration" 2nd Edition (Schiffer Publishing LTD) ($29.95), you should really get one.  He goes to a great amount of detail as to how the telephone circuitry, induction coils, and so forth are used, and the evolution of them over the years.  It is a must-have if you desire to understand telephone instruments.  It does not, however go into any details on central office equipment and switching.

-Bill
-Bill G

marty

HI All;
The unit I have does have a coil in it, I just looked at the coil, it has printed on it, GTE (could be OTE) 5590 OR E590.. It has two Caps in one and a Ringer also... I have the book by Meyer..  The coil looks like a small transformer.. I have a 151AL Candlestick.. And yes, I have fallen Head over heels on Phones and mostly on Stepping switcher Systems.. I am awaiting my latest pile of stuff So I can continue building my Frame, and work on from there... THANK YOU All for All of your Help. I have included three photos..
THANK YOU Marty

Phonesrfun

Looks like it may work just fine.  What are the terminla markings on the induction coil?  It almost looks like a WE 101A but not quite.  May be an early version, or one that was made for the subset. Terminals on a 101A are R,GN,C,L1,L2.  Does that coil have the same?

The 151AL is an antisidetone stick, by the way.  If this coil has the C terminal, which I believe it does, it would work well with that stick.

-Bill G

marty

Hi All;
The coil has the following connections... GN, R, L2, L1, and C...
THANK YOU Marty

Phonesrfun

Then you should be all set.

The wiring from the deskset to the subset should be as follows:

Yellow to L2/Y on the induction coil where the green line cord connects
Black to a terminal on the terminal board labeled "B" where a black capacitor wire is
Red to R on the induction coil
Green to GN on the induction coil

The line cord to the wall should have a red and green wire (Black and yellow are not used if the line cord has them)

Red to L1 on the induction coil
Greeen to L2/Y on the induction coil as noted above

-Bill G

marty

Hi All;
That is Exactly what I needed to know... THANK YOU Marty