News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western electric 564/single line conversion question

Started by Southernphoneman, January 15, 2016, 08:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southernphoneman

I have a 564 of which the 25 pair cable has been eliminated, and have converted it to a single line using line #1. Is there a way to get the lights to work on the perspective line? thank you.

poplar1

Here is a phone that was rewired so that the lamps corresponding to each of 5 lines will light, when the corresponding button is pushed and the phone is offhook.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10224.msg108581#msg108581
PS:  there is more room for pics...  So I am adding a picture showing the wiring of the key assembly to light the pickup buttons when pressed. Power is supplied on leads blue and white to the LG and M terminals, and each lamp terminal (1-5) is jumpered to the corresponding H terminal (1H, 2H...) Only two CO lines are brought in here, line 1 (red/green) and 5 (black/yellow). The set only rings on line 1, that's where the ringer is connected (black/red on 1R/1T). If the set had the original mounting cord, this could obviously also be done at the cord connecting block.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on January 15, 2016, 09:46:26 PM
Here is a phone that was rewired so that the lamps corresponding to each of 5 lines will light, when the corresponding button is pushed and the phone is offhook.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10224.msg108581#msg108581
PS:  there is more room for pics...  So I am adding a picture showing the wiring of the key assembly to light the pickup buttons when pressed. Power is supplied on leads blue and white to the LG and M terminals, and each lamp terminal (1-5) is jumpered to the corresponding H terminal (1H, 2H...) Only two CO lines are brought in here, line 1 (red/green) and 5 (black/yellow). The set only rings on line 1, that's where the ringer is connected (black/red on 1R/1T). If the set had the original mounting cord, this could obviously also be done at the cord connecting block.
Ok, I see where the individual jumpers are connected, and it says that power is supplied with blue and white to lg and m terminals, is that a separate power cord than the mounting cord?

poplar1

Since you want to use it as a single line phone, you can use a 4-conductor mounting cord rather than the original 30- or 34-conductor mounting cord. (2 wires for line 1 on 1T and 1R and 2 wires from a 10 Volts AC power supply to LG and M.) The other "lines" will still light up when depressed, even if you don't connect them to outside.

Southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on January 16, 2016, 01:16:46 PM
Since you want to use it as a single line phone, you can use a 4-conductor mounting cord rather than the original 30- or 34-conductor mounting cord. (2 wires for line 1 on 1T and 1R and 2 wires from a 10 Volts AC power supply to LG and M.) The other "lines" will still light up when depressed, even if you don't connect them to outside.
Thanks anyway, I was just wondering how the 564 from the other thread was hooked up, I don't have a 10 volt power supply. Thank you for your imput anyway.

poplar1

The brown 564 has one 6-conductor mounting cord. Green and Red for line 1 (1T and 1R), Black and Yellow for line 2 (2T and 2R), and blue and white to a power supply.

Perhaps you can use Trimline lamps to replace the 51A lamps normally used with 564s. Then you could use a Princess transformer (6-8 Volts).

Southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on January 16, 2016, 01:44:11 PM
The brown 564 has one 6-conductor mounting cord. Green and Red for line 1 (1T and 1R), Black and Yellow for line 2 (2T and 2R), and blue and white to a power supply.

Perhaps you can use Trimline lamps to replace the 51A lamps normally used with 564s. Then you could use a Princess transformer (6-8 Volts).
I was wondering if this would work om powering the light on the said 564?

unbeldi

Quote from: Southernphoneman on January 19, 2016, 02:29:18 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on January 16, 2016, 01:44:11 PM

I was wondering if this would work om powering the light on the said 564?

The 95B1 transformer was officially used for the Touch-A-Matic sets, and WECo specified that no transformer should be used for other purposes than specified.  But that doesn't mean they cannot.

This transformer should output ca. 13 V when drawing 0.25 A current. I think the internal impedance is very high and so the output voltage can be much higher if less current is drawn and so one has to be careful to prevent bulb failures.
The No. 51A bulb normally used in the 564 key sets is only rated at 10 V, so you are risking reduced lamp life.

PS: A good transformer reference is BSP 501-136-100 (November 1979).

Weco355aman

You can use a Trimline/princess 6-8 v wall wart to light the lamp inside of 564 phone.
You will need to add/rearrange some leads inside of phone to make lamp light.
Phil

Babybearjs

when I used to do this before I had a KTU, I used a regular 12 volt transformer, even a 9 volt unit that used to be used with the old answering machines would work also... even though the 51A lamps are rated for 10 volts, they can handle 12 volts with no problem.
John