News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ever accidentally won on eBay?

Started by deedubya3800, October 07, 2010, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedubya3800

I have to wonder if anyone here ever accidentally won something on eBay, particularly a phone, but anything would be good for discussion's sake. Maybe you were watching more than one of a particular type of item and bid on the wrong one, or you placed a bid betting someone else would outbid you before it was over and were wrong. Maybe it was some other situation altogether. I would love to hear about it!

In fact, the computer I'm using was an accidental win. I was watching this one and three or four others, all of the same series but this one was a later model. I had intended to buy two of the earlier model, both of which needed components to be complete, complete them, use one and sell the other. The plan was going well until I realized I had placed a (winning) bid on the wrong model! Long story short, I completed all three computers, got them up and running, decided the older model was a major headache to deal with because of its slower processor and smaller RAM, loved the newer one, kept it and sold the other two. Interestingly enough, I broke fairly well even on the whole deal even considering all the shipping charges involved. :)

bingster

I've never put a bid on the wrong item, but I have done the other thing a couple times.  I can't remember what the items were, but I have put very low bids on items, absolutely certain that I wouldn't win them, and come back later to find that I actually had. 
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, I've done the same thing.  That never happens with something I REALLY want, only with things I'm indifferent about.

HarrySmith

Yeah, I have done that too, put in the opening 99 cent bid, never expecting to win and getting it! I even won once at 1 cent ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

KeithB

Yeah, I've bid low just to see, and forgotten about it until several days later.  Like Dennis said, it NEVER happens on something you really want.  ::)

mr_a500

I was already bidding on a phone when I saw another one that looked nice and clean. I went a bit berserk and bid on it. Afterwards, I realized it wasn't quite as fantastic as I originally thought and I waited to be outbid. I waited for days, but for some reason nobody else bid on it and I won. (probably only the second time in my eBay history that nobody else bid)

Luckily, my instincts were correct. The phone turned out to be a nice condition matching numbers 1954 and it only cost me $19.99.

paul-f

Never say NEVER!

Several years ago I placed a small placeholder bid on a phone and then totally forgot about it.  I was sure the puny bid would be blown away and had planned to place a last minute bid if it hadn't already reached the stratosphere.

After the auction end, I got the notice that I won the aucton for $2.99.  It was a blue touch tone Ericofon.  ;D

I'd agree with "almost never."
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Today.

I had a lowball $11.11 snipe on #370440060762.
The auction was for the attatchment. I won it for less than $16.00 delivered.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Sargeguy

See post titled "eBay Mystery Phone" ;D
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Russ Kirk

Quote from: Jim S. on October 09, 2010, 04:30:56 PM
Today.

I had a lowball $11.11 snipe on #370440060762.
The auction was for the attatchment. I won it for less than $16.00 delivered.
Jim

So Jim,

Is this item real??
I saw many listings by the same seller using the same photo.
Is it real and good deal???

Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Jim Stettler

I just won it. I beleive it is real. The seller is phoneco
The picture of the auctual item shows flaking on the ends.

I think $30 would be a good deal on one of  these. This could also be a high $ attatchment
I am happy with $16.00.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

wds

I've actually won a couple phones on very small bids.  Here's a SC 1243 that I bid $1.50 on, early in the bidding process.  I didn't bother monitoring the bid, since I was sure someone else would out bid me, but a couple days later I received the email telling me I was high bidder at - $1.25 plus $10 shipping.  Turned out to be a great phone, original SC dial.  I cleaned it and put a new coat of paint on it, and now it sits on my shelf waiting to be admired by anyone who will give it a quick glance.  
Dave

DARK FATHER

I was once looking at phones on Ebay and got distracted by my youngest daughter then left the room.  When I returned to the room I found a message on the computer congratulating me for my "Buy it Now" winning bid.  While my jaw dropped in disbelief I tried to figure out how this had happened. Turns out my oldest daughter (age 4) had played with the computer while I was out of the room and bid on a WE 500 that was $50!  I was NOT happy because I did not want the phone for that price!  I contacted the very-understanding seller and explained what had happened.  They honored my request to cancel my bid.

deedubya3800

That's probably the wildest story I've heard yet! :o Glad everything turned out okay. :)

DavePEI

Several years ago, I saw a seller with two nice looking NE 202s - complete with magneto subsets. But expecting much, I put of $10 one one of them. The auction ended at 3 or 4 am our time, and the second one had no bids. SO, later that am, I got an email from the seller wanting to know if I wanted the second one for the same price. I went for it, so for $20, I had two  202's and two matching subsets from the seller in Quebec.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001