News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

German - Bavarian EB08 aka OB08, just another LB magneto

Started by countryman, July 05, 2020, 03:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

Bavaria used some equipment different from Prussia (≈ Northern Germany) in the early days, and also the naming was different:
EB = OB (Rest of Germany) = Local Battery.
The diagram is different from the contemporary Prussian OB05, too. In fact it more corresponds with international designs.

I converted this phone to CB to pick up incoming calls by adding a jumper between L2 and Z (battery+) and a modern 1µF capacitor between K (battery-) and the upper W terminal. The phone line goes to L1 and K. The original jumper W-W (for an extra bell) is left open. As the transmitter was missing anyway, I replaced it with a modern CB one.
The phone came with an extra 400 Ohm resistor in series wit L1 (not shown in the diagram) so I hope the DC through the transmitter receiver will be acceptable. The phone rings, transmits and receives as it should.

RB

Jack Ryan

countryman

I believe EB stands for "Eigene Batterie" = Own battery.

The owner of bayern-online.com chimed in on the German forum, stating that the site was down due to a re-arrangement. But this was months ago now. I hope it will come back, though. Parts of the site can be found in the internet archive.

Edit to add: The handset is not 100% correct. It's a prussian one. The bavarian is very similar but uses a one-piece bakelite receiver cap (no metal rings) and a rounded nickel cover over the terminals. The phone came with a Model 28 Bakelite handset. It may have been fitted during a long service life. It's also possible that some late EB08 were originally issued with bakelite handsets.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on July 06, 2020, 02:39:54 AM
I believe EB stands for "Eigene Batterie" = Own battery.

Thanks for that.

The owner of bayern-online.com chimed in on the German forum, stating that the site was down due to a re-arrangement.

I heard that it is a massive "rearrangement". The CMS he used is past its useby date, is no longer supported and the step to the current version is a biggie.

I would happily host it even with the security risks.

Parts of the site can be found in the internet archive.

But that is a very distant second. It is very fragmented.

Jack