News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE50 With Optional Hook Latch for Party Lines

Started by Telephone Mike, January 09, 2013, 11:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telephone Mike

I've seen lots of AE50s, installed, repaired and restored them but have never seen one with a monitor lever. Maybe Terry can jump in here.  I can just imagine this phone on some of the 10 party lines I worked on in the "good old days".  Some of the ole "rubbernecking" gals would have loved it.  

This picture could qualify for the "worst picture forum" but you can see the lever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110997231372?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Mike

AE_Collector

Yep, switch hook latch, they exist. I don't have one but it has come up here on the forum before...maybe a year ago or so. Stub probably has looked it up in the catelog by now!

Terry

Doug Rose

Here's mine I got last year. It is such a cool set, the plunger is also very different...Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5652.0
Kidphone

poplar1

These were used on multi-party lines. You could listen to make sure there was not an incoming ring for another party, dial pulses, or conversation. Surplus Center in Lincoln, Nebraska sometimes sold AE50s that had the special plunger, but they had removed the chrome plate and lever.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

Telephone Mike,
                        I just found this thread today. This switch hook latch is not mentioned in any of the catalogs that I have.
                         Can you post a pic of the insides of this switch to see how the contacts are arranged?
Terry,   Do you think this was a add on by the independents like the frequency ringers?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

I assumed that it was from AE but don't know for certain. AE was a main supplier for independents so I bet it was an option from AE.

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Not only slack in dating their phones but also not putting a lot of options in the catalogs as well!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

poplar1

9. HOOKLATCH (optional)
    Order one H-78834-11, which will give you a complete
set of 4 hooklatch parts and 2 screws.
    Remove old spanner nut (figure 2) and plunger.
    Insert new (grooved) plunger. Over this, lay the plate
with the rounded ends, flat side up, tapped holes away
from you.
   Insert new (thin-top) spanner nut, and tighten with
tool H-50754 as in figure 2.
   On this, lay the other plate, with the countersunk side
up and the release lever to the right. Insert and tighten the
2 #4-40x0.16" FHBM screws.
   When making a call, a party-line caller lifts the hand-
set out of the the cradle, and listens whether the line may be
in use already. If he hears nothing, he pushes the release
lever, and makes his call.  Caution the subscriber he must
push the release lever to ANSWER on INCOMING call
also.

Automatic Electric
Chicago 7, Illinois, U. S. A.
Technical bulletin 700-50
Issue 2, February 1957

(I just happened to receive a handbook today of plant specifications, installation and maintenance,  originally from The Southwestern State Telephone Co., Brownwood, Texas, and in the same binder were several Automatic Electric practices.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector