News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Man-Cubbyhole

Started by Greg G., December 12, 2014, 04:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Inspired by Doug's efforts he put into his display, I finally got off my arse and organized some of my little work space, which consists of what used to be a closet in the office.

Boy, this is time consuming and both frustrating and rewarding, more towards the latter.  First rule is - resist the urge to tinker with the phones!  I probably did that for about a couple of hours when I started moving phones around.  The ones I haven't even looked at in years seemed like new toys.  Another rewarding part is I found some parts I thought I lost.

Second rule is - it takes longer and is harder than you think!  Most of these were boxed up and stored in closets, cupboards, cabinets, underneath my work table, or stuck up on top of a bookshelf where you couldn't even see them.  I thought hanging pictures was a PITA, try heavy antique wall phones!  I spent an entire day on this, and I'm still not done.  All I did was put some phones on display and move some others off the top of the bookshelf where they couldn't be seen.  Most of them are actually still projects, but since I haven't touched them for a while, may as well put them up out of the way and at least enjoy looking at them until I get around to working on them.

I still have to organize the work desk below it.  It's an embarrassing mess, so I didn't include it in the pictures.  Next step is getting some peg board to put up so I can put needed tools on it and not the desk space, and have that closet window restored.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

Looks like a nice start, I like how neat it is.

Ben 

jsowers

Greg, you have a great cubbyhole and that's a good use of a closet. I remember a fellow collector who won a light gray 554 I failed to get on eBay said he hung his 554s in a closet so they didn't fade from UV light. But your closet sounds like it has a window, so make sure the sun (all two days of it you get in Seattle) doesn't fade anything.

Also, it's great to know, in case anyone would happen to call, that you do have Prince Albert in the can.  ;D

Jonathan

Greg G.

You can see the boarded-up window on the right, by the Prince Albert can.  I chiseled away a small part of the dry-wall in the lower left, under the Goebel Beer sign, to see if there was still glass there, but there isn't.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Also, it's great to know, in case anyone would happen to call, that you do have Prince Albert in the can.  ;D

Not to worry, when I found the can in the crawl space, Prince Albert had already escaped!
- Mike Row
e

Mr. Bones

Looks like your investment in time paid off Big Time, Greg!

Thanks for the inspiration, regarding both space utilization, motivation, and the ever-present urge to tinker with the phones!

It is always good to get a fresh perspective; you have made me look around more and see what can be utilized, and how. My duplex is rather small, and my options somewhat limited for display. This should prove helpful...

Have a great weekend, and best regards, as always!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus