News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Latest Haul, How did I do?

Started by MyDodgeDip, March 27, 2012, 07:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyDodgeDip

Once again, I went to a car swap meet and came home with phones instead of car parts...  :D  I basically impulse bought them so I'm wondering what I got other than a bunch of old phones.  I'd hate to bring anything too special to work to rent as a prop, I'd rather see it go to a better home.  Any dates/info you can give me on anything is greatly appreciated.  Also curious what they're worth to see if I paid too much or not  :-[   :D Can't wait to get them all cleaned up!

Stromberg-Carlson with crank. Crank is a bit stiff, probably needs oil, bells work though. 

North Electric Galion, right? (I'm still learning) Dial needs some cleaning and oil.  I've read that North used various dials for their phones, don't see a lot with the chunk missing from them like this one. Is that an odd dial? 

I love this little guy.  Stomberg Carlson space saver type phone.  I would love to get this working and put it in my kitchen.  I don't want to mess with it until I make sure it's not super rare or something because I was thinking of painting it.  I do not like messing up nice original items but if they are common enough I won't feel too bad since I'll keep it forever. 

A couple of Wheeler handsets.  Are these test set type things for the phone company  or did they have other uses?

This black, metal dial 500 was too nice to pass up.  Looks almost like new except for a little shelf rash and a twisted cord. 

And finally, a tan princess.  This will most likely end up at work since we get a lot of requests for them!

JorgeAmely

The second phone mostly likely has an AE dial with a special finger wheel. Rumor has it that it was optional equipment and that it allowed customers to clean dust from under the wheel.
Jorge

MyDodgeDip

Quote from: JorgeAmely on March 27, 2012, 08:42:47 PM
The second phone mostly likely has an AE dial with a special finger wheel. Rumor has it that it was optional equipment and that it allowed customers to clean dust from under the wheel.

Thanks for the info.  I always hate cleaning behind the dials. 

Almost forgot, I also got this cut corner Stromberg-Carlson.  He's going into use as the living room phone. 

Greg G.

I'd say you did rather poorly if you went looking for auto parts!   ;)  I'll have to add auto swap meets as my list of resources.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Kind of like Jack who went to the market and came home with a handful of worthless beans.   ;D
-Bill G

jsowers

That SC space saver is a fairly rare phone and probably requires a subset (ringer and network) before it would be functional. I don't see them often on eBay, if ever. I wouldn't paint it. Look for a 554 or a wall Trimline for your kitchen if you want color. AE made a SpaceMaker in color that also requires a separate ringer, but be prepared to pay for it.

The sound-powered handsets I've seen being used at older radio stations, maybe to talk to a remote location or from the transmitter or control room to the studio. You had to have a dedicated wire, I believe, and a handset on each end of the wire.

That's a great haul, especially for a car swap meet. It's great you have an outlet for using your phones as props.
Jonathan

MyDodgeDip

Quote from: jsowers on March 28, 2012, 10:01:40 AM
I don't see them often on eBay, if ever. I wouldn't paint it.

'nuff said,  thats all I needed to hear.  I'll probably leave it black and get it working as is. 

G-Man

QuoteI've read that North used various dials for their phones, don't see a lot with the chunk missing from them like this one. Is that an odd dial?

Not only were black-Japanned and chrome finishes available, but an optional 24-karat plated
version was also offered.

A.E. dials with cutaway fingerwheels are often seen on North instruments.

Here is the description from the A.E. catalog-

"Beside the regular round plate, shown on all of the automatic telephones in
this catalog, a special "cutaway" plate is also available.

It differs from the round plate in that a portion of the plate is cut away,
and the underside of the finger plate is finished in white enamel. In this
way a greater amount of light is admitted to the dial number plate. The
cutaway portion of the finger plate also makes it easier to keep the number
plate perfectly clean.

If the telephone is desired with the "cutaway" plate, please specify when
ordering.