"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Estate Sale Finds 302, D1, Space Saver and External Ringer

Started by John S, March 30, 2012, 03:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Hi Forum!!

I just picked up some phones at a estate sale today.  There is two 302, D1 with a 4H dial, Space Saver and external ringer.  I had to battle mother nature and wait in line for about 1 hour.  It was raining hard here this morning.  For everything I paid $80.00 dollars. I took a picture of all of them, but one of them I find very interesting and cool.  One of the 302 has the original dial card.  I took a close up so you guys/gals could read it.  It also has a plug and some kind of circuit board attached to it.  I was curious and plugged it into a outlet.  When you push the button, it makes the phone ring.  Its very cool!!!  I have no idea what they would use that for.  The finger wheel, dial plate looks to have never been used.  I thought maybe someone could tell me what it was use for?  Has anyone seen anything like it?  All the dates match.  Check out the pics... 

John

Phonesrfun

I would NOT plug that in to ring the phone.  110V line current is hazzardous to your health, and there is no current limitations, so if you pick up the phone while you are ringing the phone, it will probably smoke the transmitter or the primary of the induction coil in a heartbeat.

-Bill G

wds

After you cut the A/C plug off the phone, you've got yourself a great batch of phones.  I'd like to see more pictures of that '38 302, and the external ringer.  Looks like a 684.  I'd guess you have about $250 - $300 worth of phones there.  
Dave

John S

Thank you for the info, going to get rid of the plug ASAP.

Phonesrfun

Good move, and like wds said, that's a nice set of phones and a subset you have there.
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

John,

It looks like you got a great deal there.  Is the subset cover bakelite or plastic? 

Larry

jsowers

John, you're a brave man, plugging that 302 in like that. I'm glad you and the phone are still here to tell the tale.

The exchange on the 202, YARds, is a very old Chicago exchange named after the Chicago Stock Yards. I just looked it up on the exchange site and there's an interesting story someone posted. His old phone number is similar to the one on your phone, since R is 7.

QuoteYArds was a South Side exchange, a reference to the Chicago Stock Yards. My family telephone number 1940s-1950s was YArds 7-0328. ( I heard a different number after YArds in the old Jimmy Cagney movie, The Public Enemy, 1939.)

Also, any 3-letter 4-number card probably dates to before WWII, since I think only Philadelphia was left with exchange names with 3 capital letters like that in the latter 1940s. They were likely only used in large cities back in the 1930s, like Chicago, New York and others. One of my favorites, from Philadelphia, is RITtenhouse.
Jonathan

John S

I think the cover is Bakelite.  I took some pictures of the ringer.  Also inside pictures of the 302 dated 1938.  I also opened of the other 302 desktop.  I found something inside that I have never seen...any ideas?  You never know what  you will find inside a phone.  

John

John S

Everybody I am still here....I am lucky nothing happened when I plug it into a outlet.

jsowers,

That is very interesting on the dial card on the 202.  You can learn a lot from just the dial card...If these phones could talk......

I will just pile them away for now.  Clean them up and re-sell them.  They will help pay for classes in the fall.....

dsk

:D  You got some nice ones there.
The last one seems to have a German capacitor, and probably a German induction coil.
The German induction coils used to have lots of text, resistance number of turns etc.
Typical 2 terminals in one end (Receiver) and 4 terminals in the other end.
The phone may have a history, maybe it has been in service in Germany for the US forces, and has been repaired there?  The parts used in German phones was of high quality, even after WW2, but they original 302 was better on long lines.
The German telephones tended to have a louder click in the receiver when the dial stopped.
It may be a Siemens made on licence too.  The ringer looks European too.

dsk

wds

Do you suppose that 302 was made in the Antwerp Belgium plant for use in Europe?  Very cool phone.  Can you post a picture of the back side of the dial?
Dave

dsk

Its really strange, but take a look at this page:
http://is.gd/G1kzMJ
or google for: w48 grundplatte
or this parts:
at: http://is.gd/sbYAij

dsk

John S

Here are more pictures of the inside and the dial....

Let me know if you want any more pictures...close ups.....

dsk

I would like you to read out the text on the coils on the ringer, and the induction coil.
The resistance of the ringer coils will probably be 2x 300 or 750 ohms and the   diagram and values will be quite equal to this.

Look at the numbering of the terminals here, and compare with yours.

dsk

dsk

And---
One more question: Ar the metal plate 1) made for this setup? 2) a modified plate from a German telephone? 3) A modified 302 plate? 4) something else? (please describe)

dsk