News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

OLD FRENCH DIAL PHONE FOUND NEED HELP

Started by darticus, May 19, 2012, 09:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darticus

Seems to work good but doesn't ring. Hooked up the red and green wire but only able to talk no ring, Sending some pics but could use some help. Thanks Ron

darticus

Very cool but doesn't seem to ring. I can pick up when another phone rings and I can hear and talk but no ring. I did connect the red and green wire but there are 4 other wires, any further connection needed??? Ron

poplar1

If the black ringer wire is on G, try moving it to L1. This is a Japanese phone that was sold in Woolworth's and other stores in the 60s-70s, but it has been rebuilt with Western Electric parts.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

twocvbloke

I think only one thread is required for the same topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6996.0

And yeah, looks to be about as french as Le BigMac, made up of pretty standard american type parts, so the ringer is as poplar1 described, move the Black ringer wire from the G terminal to the L1 terminal, and that should get it to ring... :)

AE_Collector

I merged the two topics into one here in Flea Market / Yard Sale Finds. I think someone had one of these a couple of months back as well. Not "real antique" but starting to become collectible all the same.

Terry

dsk

I guess the ringer should be wired as in this diagram:

Just the ringer, because this are a the diagram belonging to an ITT 2500. (Touch tone)

dsk

darticus

The thick black wire goes to the receiver and is on G I moved it to L1 and this doesn't help the bell ring I tried it. You must be talking about the thin black wire going to the bell that goes to terminal A. I moved it to terminal L1 but this didn't ring either.  Thanks Ron

Quote from: poplar1 link=topic=6996.msg 79340#msg 79340 date=1337480000
If the black ringer wire is on G, try moving it to L1. This is a Japanese phone that was sold in Woolworth's and other stores in the 60s-70s, but it has been rebuilt with Western Electric parts.

poplar1

OK, I was thinking they used the conventional Western Electric wiring. In any case, A and K are the capacitor and the thin red and black wires are from the ringer. (The slate and red/slate wires from the ringer are not used.) I think here they are using G for some other purpose. If the black ringer wire is on K then where is the red ringer wire? The complete ringer circuit is as follows:

one side of the line to A,
one ringer (black in this case) to K
other side of the line to red ringer wire.

Thus the ringer is in series with the capacitor which is A and K.

Without changing any wiring you could also try putting an additional wire at the wall on the same screw; this may be the one that is going to A now.

darticus

The thin black wire from the bell goes to A. The thin red wire from the bell goes to L2. A yellow wire, that I'm not using, comes from the wall wires and connects to K. I don't have this yellow wire hooked up at the wall side. I only have the red and green of the wall wire hooked to the wall. The gray wire from the bell seems to go no where and the red and gray seem to go no where.
Is there a way to make sure my bell or ringer works without using the phone circuit maybe with a battery??? Just to test it??? Thanks Ron

Quote from: poplar1 on May 20, 2012, 07:10:06 PM
OK, I was thinking they used the conventional Western Electric wiring. In any case, A and K are the capacitor and the thin red and black wires are from the ringer. (The slate and red/slate wires from the ringer are not used.) I think here they are using G for some other purpose. If the black ringer wire is on K then where is the red ringer wire? The complete ringer circuit is as follows:

one side of the line to A,
one ringer (black in this case) to K
other side of the line to red ringer wire.

Thus the ringer is in series with the capacitor which is A and K.

Without changing any wiring you could also try putting an additional wire at the wall on the same screw; this may be the one that is going to A now.

poplar1

Try putting the yellow wire at the wall together with the wire that is coming from L1. Or you can run a piece of wire from L1 to K.

The input to the ringer circuit is L2 (red ringer wire) and K (one side of the capacitor).
Because the other ringer wire is on A, the ringer is in series with the capacitor as it should be.

Sorry I misspoke about where the black ringer wire was. It should stay on A. It is confusing me because the person that rewired this phone did not use the conventional wiring.

darticus

L1 is the green and L2 is red both connected at the wall. As you said I will connect the yellow at the wall to the green. The jumper from L1 to K would be easier but it will have to wait till tomorrow. I will let you know how things turn out. Thanks Ron

Quote from: poplar1 on May 20, 2012, 09:00:43 PM
Try putting the yellow wire at the wall together with the wire that is coming from L1. Or you can run a piece of wire from L1 to K.

The input to the ringer circuit is L2 (red ringer wire) and K (one side of the capacitor).
Because the other ringer wire is on A, the ringer is in series with the capacitor as it should be.

Sorry I misspoke about where the black ringer wire was. It should stay on A. It is confusing me because the person that rewired this phone did not use the conventional wiring.

darticus

It rings! Yellow to green did it! Thanks will do further testing later. Thanks again Ron