News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Examples of Reproduction Telephone Signs

Started by Sargeguy, September 10, 2013, 07:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

This fake is a variant of the Southwestern  sign posted in this thread.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

Judging by the other examples of real and surreal signage, If I were to guess. I'd suspect it because of the grommets in the corner holes and the intricacy and amount of lettering surrounding the Bell logo.  Am I doing any better?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

Has anyone ever heard of Northwestern Bell Telephone Company?  Did such a company even exist?

HarrySmith

It is all wrong in my opinion. The rust only around the outer edge, the lettering, the bell and the grommets.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Fabius

Quote from: andre_janew on November 22, 2017, 04:13:58 PM
Has anyone ever heard of Northwestern Bell Telephone Company?  Did such a company even exist?

Yes, they were a real Bell System company, serving the upper mid-west. Their signs are usually hard to find. Probably due to the lower population of the service area?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwestern_Bell

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Seller says there were 25 of these made. A few things show that it is a reproduction so hopefully collectors in the future will be able to spot it as a repro. Problems with the sign are: The item description indicates it's a repro. The seller has a few other repro signs listed.

Black back
Grommets too big in relation to the sign
Grommet covers letter on the right side
The dark blue color seems too light
In the picture where the sign is being held at an angle the lack of quality seems apparent.

At least the item description indicates, indirectly, it's a repro. The seller has a few other repro signs listed.

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Here's a real 8" Bell of Pennsylvania hub cap.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

tallrick

It is surprisingly easy to make reproduction signs. I had made a few years back for my gas station display. Screen stencils are used to deposit enamel over the base coat. Most signs were sprayed on and have that "orange peel" look to them.  I prefer making a repro over some rusted out original. Large signs require a kiln much too large for the home hobbyist.

Fabius

More fakes seen on Esty.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

Interesting how the entire surface of the bottom one is blemished, except for the bell.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: 19and41 on February 14, 2018, 01:07:58 PM
Interesting how the entire surface of the bottom one is blemished, except for the bell.
...along with the white outlines of the silkscreened letters and lines! ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162899486446

The Argentinian faker is still in business!!! Looks like he's lowered the price and now offers FREE SHIPPING!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

caveat emptor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183121398007

The description is a real confidence builder:

QuotePORCELAIN ENAMEL SIGN TELEPHONE PAY STATION 24X5" SINGLE SIDED

Sold On As Is Basis. Age, History, Not Known, Bought from Antique Sign Collectors. Nicely Washed And Cleaned
Not Touched/ Painted.
Weight 1kg/ 1.76lbs Approx.
Collectibles /Antiques Not Returnable.
Please Ask For More Photos If Required
We Ship Within 2 Days Of Receiving Full Payment. Mostly We Ship Through Fedex or DHL And Provide Tracking Number. All Signs Are Professionally Packed.
Since These Are Used Items And Sold on offers, There Are NO REFUNDS Or RETURN Offered. It Is Like Real Time selling. You Ask Questions, Photos, Before Bidding And Do All Surveys.
We Sell All These On " As Is Where" Basis Since Age, History, Origin Are Not Known To Us.
Once You offer And Pay - The Item Is Yours.
Free shipping to USA and CANADA
If your from other than USA or CANADA please ask for Quotation for shipping
Please contact us If you want us to reduce the price on Invoicing as it will save you from Custom Duty.
We are not responsible for Custom Clearance or activities involving any Government agencies.
Buyer will pay the return shipping fee
Thank you

Taking a look at the sellers other items, it seems like he sells a lot of signs of "unknown origin" that all have very similar artificial aging.  Hmmm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183129757082?

And of course one has to wonder how a Lincoln Telephone sign wound up in Mumbai
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

oops!!! :o
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant