News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What else do you guys collect?

Started by Steve, December 22, 2008, 10:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Mark, I read your posting and looked at the photo.  My reaction was WOW! which I said aloud...then I scrolled down and saw the comment left by BDM.  Apparently that says it all!  Amazing.   Good thing earth quakes are not common in Texas!

mienaichizu

Quote from: Mark Stevens on January 04, 2009, 11:28:45 AM
Quote from: Dan on December 26, 2008, 09:11:49 PM
I collect soft drink stuff-or 'pop" as we call it in the midwest. Coke, pepsi, mountain dew. Also pinball machines. phones fill up a little less space than pinballs though...

I collected old bottles many years ago, and had many that represented obscure brands of "pop". A friend of mine has the most extensive collection of Texas bottles in existence.  This photo shows part of his collection (less than a quarter of them), lined up alphabetically by city.

cool collection! I love collecting old stuffs, maybe I should start collecting bottles too

McHeath

Wow!!  What a bottle collection.  Never seen anything like it.

Dan

I must warn you, the bottle collecting is as addicting as phones. I remember as a kid drinking 10 and 12 ounce mountain dews in hillbilly bottles and now I see those same bottles going for 10-20 bucks each. Makes me wanna fire up the time machine....
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

BDM

I have a friend who collected beer cans. He had about 100 of them. I thought that was something to look at. After that photo, it ain't even close! :P
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Bill Cahill

Holy Mackeral!!!!
Does anyone have any spares for the following two old brands?
Faygo. Especially the old style, and, "Faygo old fashioned root beer".
Uptown.
I really would like to get them.
I'm also looking for different brands of the old school milk bottles.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dennis Markham

Bill Cahill

Thanks, Dennis, but, I'm looking for bottles. Not cans.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dennis Markham

Gotcha Bill, I misunderstood.  You mentioned Uptown.  Do you remember Towne Club pop that was very popular in this area?? (I am in the Detroit area).

Dennis

mienaichizu

Regarding those bottle collecting, here are some bottles we dug up in a historic district in Manila during an archaeological excavation last summer, unfortunately I don't keep those bottles, the National Museum has it now

the first two bottles are made of stoneware and it is used as Ink bottles, the second two are glass

benhutcherson

I have been into Lionel trains for a long time, and have a decent sized collection(if you can call it that).

For the most part, I don't  buy high-end collector grade trains, but just good, solid operator grade equipment. I also get a lot of enjoyment out of buying trains out of the "junk bin" and bringing them back to life.

Here are a few older photos of my small layout(it's changed a fair amount since these were taken-I need to take some more)

I also dabble some in photography, and as an offshoot of that collect cameras(that I use). I have owned an example every pre-autofocus single lens reflex Canon has made at various times, and these are my main workhorse cameras.  I also like old Rolleiflex twin lens reflexes, and have a couple of those.

HobieSport

Ben; I love Lionel trains but I don't collect them. I have one simple newer little New York Central set.  That's some pretty cool stuff you have there.  What is that big transformer looking thingy?  Don't tell me; a big transformer thingy? ;)

Is the green engine that famous one from Scotland?  I forget the name. 
Have you ever seen replicas (Lionel or otherwise) of the streamliners designed by Henry Dreyfuss and/or Raymond Loewy?  Those make me drool.

Ramil;  I've always been interested in archeology but I don't think I'd have the patience.  What other cool things do you find in Old Town Manilla?  I hung out with a archeologist in Sicily for a bit.  Pretty amazing stuff there.

Okay, Mark, you're friends' bottle collection just leaves me speechless. :o

benhutcherson

Quote from: HobieSport on January 08, 2009, 07:31:52 PM
Ben; I love Lionel trains but I don't collect them. I have one simple newer little New York Central set.  That's some pretty cool stuff you have there.  What is that big transformer looking thingy?  Don't tell me; a big transformer thingy? ;)

Thanks for the compliments. You guessed it correctly :) . I'm not sure which one you're referring to, but there are two transformers in the picture. The big box one is a Lionel Z, which was the largest transformer Lionel made in the years leading up to WWII, with a rating of 250 watts.

The sort of football shaped one on the right is a ZW, Lionel's classic of the postwar years. It's very similar to the Z internally-the core on the earlier ZWs was identical to the one on the Z, but somewhere along the way was up-rated to 275 watts(the later ones did have a better redesigned core).

Is the green engine that famous one from Scotland?  I forget the name. 

The Flying Scotsman, perhaps? I wish, but alas no. O gauge(Lionel train size) isn't very common in England, and most American modelers don't really go for English trains. I personally love them, but I'm in the minority.

One of the Brass manufacturers imported a really nice Flying Scotsman from England two or three years ago, but the $1400 price tag was too much for this college student to swing.

The engine pictured is a postwar Lionel 2056 that was repainted(not by me) in green. Whoever painted didn't letter it, or really even do all that good of a job for that matter, but I think that they were trying to make it look like one of the Southern Railway's Southern Crescent engines.

It caught my eye, as I've always liked the Southern, and the price was right(especially considering that the 2056 is not-so-common) after a little bit of haggling.

Have you ever seen replicas (Lionel or otherwise) of the streamliners designed by Henry Dreyfuss and/or Raymond Loewy?  Those make me drool.

Dreyfuss's one big contribution to trains was designing the streamline shrouding for a couple of New York Central Hudson which are, oddly enough, commonly called Dreyfuss Hudsons. There have been several made in O gauge, including a rough model which Lionel made in the prewar years.

Lionel and a few others have made some beautiful 1:48 full scale models in the last few years, but they're pricey and I don't have the room to run full 1:48 scale steam engines. I do, however, have a decent less than scale model made a few years ago by former Lionel competitor K-line. Here it is, pictured with a few other well-known Dreyfuss designs from my personal collection in an old "file photo."

The better known Raymond Loewry design is the GG-1, an electric locomotive which was used on the Pennsylvania Railroad. He also had several other designs for the Pennsylvania.

I don't have any of these, although Lionel and others have made a good many of them in the past couple of years. All of his other PRR designs were for big, flashy steam locomotives(usually novel things that hadn't been tried before, and weren't successful enough for anyone to bother copying). GG-1s have been made by about everyone in every scale, though, as they were a huge success-they were all built in the '30s, and the last couple were finally retired in the early '80s.

I have a GG-1 on the way-a modern reproduction of Lionel's postwar model. It's supposed to be here some time in March, although it will be interesting to see if they actually make that deadline.

mienaichizu

Matt, we dug up lots of interesting artifacts in Old Manila, coins, bayonets, rifles, musket balls, bullets, rifle flints, lots of pottery and ceramic shards, bottles, bones but not human bones, etc. We are digging up the part of the ruins of the old curtain wall defense of Intramuros (which means walled city) and Spanish arsenal which was removed and converted into a port during the American Pd.

you may also want to see more photos on the link below, pardon me if some of the comments and wording are in Filipino language

http://mienaichizu.multiply.com/photos/album/44/Trabaho_at_Inuman
http://mienaichizu.multiply.com/photos/album/43/Maestranza_Update
http://mienaichizu.multiply.com/photos/album/36/Maestranza_September_29_2007
http://mienaichizu.multiply.com/photos/album/34/Continuation_of_the_fun
http://mienaichizu.multiply.com/photos/album/33/Playing_with_artifacts_part_2
http://mienaichizu.multiply.com/photos/album/31/Playing_with_artifacts

Ben, i like your collection of Lionel Trains, very interesting. I don't see those stuffs here in the Philippines

HobieSport

Ramil,  Very cool diggings.  Thanks for the links.  Of course when I hear about the Philippines I think of MacArthur...  Not looking very far back, I know... back to the Spanish and even earlier periods.  But have you found Dougs' pipe yet?  Huhuhu.  See? I learned to laugh in Filipino! ;D

Ben, Wow you know your trains! The football shaped transformer reminds me of the bomb in the obscure Peter Sellars movie "The Mouse that Roared".

Yep, I was thinking of The Flying Scotsman.  She still runs in Britain, correct?

And yep, your K-Line Dreyfuss Hudson (Twentieth Century Limited) is one of my favorites (the real ones, not the models).  They all got scraped, right? :'(  
I loved how Dreyfuss got to design the whole system, from cowlings to interiors down to the tableware.  Darn it, where's my time machine when I need it. :)