News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Auction 71 possibility?

Started by Dan, August 26, 2011, 10:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I know absolutely nothing about these sets so I find it intriguing.... Feels free to post auction pics ( I don't know how) and I will post this link. Looks like a fancy masculine princess to me ;) It would look sweet in a 1972 Challenger, Monte Carlo, or Camaro.

http://tinyurl.com/3v3wdnq

My opening guess is $139.95
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

rdelius

Just the control head without the radio.You still would look like a big shot though
Robby

Adam

Quote from: rdelius on August 26, 2011, 11:46:22 AM
Just the control head without the radio.

Even if you could get the radio, even if you could install the radio and get it to function, it would still be useless, as the radio system this would have connected with no longer exists.

So, might as well install just the control head, at this point it will do as much as the whole system installed properly!  (Nothing.)

These go pretty high, even though they're useless.  I guess $250.00.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Adam

Here is the pic of the item in question.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

baldopeacock

We had one of these in a van at work in the late '70s.

Tom B

Tom

Russ Kirk

Looks very similar to mine. 
I paid about $50 for mine - see photo of mine

I think this one will go higher,  my guess about $125

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

K1WI

I've  actually seen a few HAMS (amatuer radio operators) use one of these , complete unit ofcourse , on 70cm (440Hz) as a single frequency FM rig to hit their local repeater.
   Not too difficult to do. Worked on these , seems like a life time  ago , when I worked for New York Tel as a radio man.   They are very rugged control heads and the radios are real "work horses"
   I'll go with $70.

Andy   K1WI

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

GG

K1WI: how was the audio on those mobiles compared to a) landlines today and b) cellphones today? 

(I suspect that the audio was better than today's cellphones, because there was not an epidemic of auto accidents associated with the oldschool mobiles, and the accidents today are due to people having to focus more attention on making out each other's words via the compressed speech channel.)

K1WI

GG

The audio bordered on awesome , radios were strong , but remember there was no network or sytem like our cell system of today.   as an example in Rhode Island there were only two "bases" to cover the entire state.  also the vagaraties in propagation could change almost instantly making use difficult at times and superb at others.

Andy    k1wi

Dan

Well it went for $365.99!!!! :o :o :o :o Redlius wins!!!

GG

Thanks, Andy.  I take it all those "line" switches above the handset are like a form of oldschool "scanner" that looks for a free channel.  What would happen if you tried to press a button for a channel that was already in use?

Doug Rose

Amazing! I had one in my collection it looked almost exactly like this one. I sold it a few years ago for around $125 and thought I hit the lottery. WOW!!....Doug
Kidphone