News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I challange ANYONE to figure this out... old and new combined.

Started by shortrackskater, October 05, 2016, 02:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortrackskater

My setup WAS working until the recent Apple update.
I have a "Cell Fusion 21518" cell gateway. I connect it to my Apple 5s via bluetooth. I have my antique AE payphone plugged in it. When I pair the devices my old phone would always "ring" (no ringer but I can see the cell light up) and I could simply pick it up and take cell calls on the old phone. WORKED GREAT... until this darn update.
Now, if my cell rings, it just looks like a regular cell call, which it is. It used to first give the option to answer via cell phone, or the device. Now it won't. But if I LOCK the phone and "swipe" to answer, and then select that input (cell or the device) and THEN I can pick up my antique phone.
This is so frustrating since is worked perfect before and now it's a pain in the you-know-what.
I'm wondering if this is simply a software issue with Apple. If so I think I'm up a creek, since they probably couldn't care less about some guy fusing an Iphone with a AE. :(
Mark J.

Stan S

Mark
If I'm reading the situation correctly the Apple update changed the way the phone handles blue-tooth. Do you have the ability to program 'preferences' as far as the blue-tooth is concerned? Maybe there's a way of changing that. If not, I would just stand by and wait for the next up date. Assuming the blue-tooth works the way you described, it will work that way for ALL blue-tooth devices including earphones. I have a feeling Apple is going to be inundated with complaints from everyone that uses a blue-tooth earphone or headset. More of them around than folks who use AE 3-slots.
Relax!
Stan S.

unbeldi

The Bluetooth gateway is really no different than a Bluetooth head set, so whatever the correct and simples procedure is for using those should work too.  Did they make the use of headsets a pain too by having to swipe the screen or whatever?

shortrackskater

Thanks Stan and unbeldi!
No there's no Bluetooth settings that I can see, so far.
All I know is the procedure was simple. Now it doesn't exist. I'll hang on and wait but I'll do some google searching too.
Mark J.

podor

I use a X-Link Bluetooth gateway. Every iOS update, I hace to at least reboot the gateway. I've had to update the X-Link firmware a few times after an update also. Not sure if that helps any.

shortrackskater

Rebooted, unplugged, did the "forget device" thing, etc...
But thank you though!
Mark J.

shortrackskater

WELL... Apple had an update today for my iphone 6s and... NOTHING!
Same thing... I have to perform two steps just to connect it to my old phone. The old way, before the update,  I did nothing... I just answered the old phone and all was fine. I would LOVE to undue this horrible update from my iphone. It was a complete waste. It would be fine if I was 16 - maybe 30 years old, but I'm 55. I don't need to play, and draw, and have all sorts of useless options that simply draw more current and deplete my battery.
But oh well...
Mark J.

jsowers

You didn't say you updated the firmware on your X-Link like Podor said to do. That's an important step. They may have changed something in the firmware to handle that, so everything needs to be current to work together properly. Here's the page on the X-Link site about updating the firmware. If you haven't done that yet, it wouldn't hurt. It says the firmware is up to version 153. So are you using that version? It shows how to tell which version you have--press buttons 1 and 2 at the same time and hold for 3 seconds. Good luck!

http://www.myxlink.com/software_updates.aspx
Jonathan

shortrackskater

Sorry if I sound horribly confused... but I don't even know what the X link is?
I have a GE "Cell Fusion" gateway. Far as I see there's no firmware in it to update.
Mark J.

unbeldi

Quote from: jsowers on October 25, 2016, 12:29:55 AM
You didn't say you updated the firmware on your X-Link like Podor said to do. That's an important step. They may have changed something in the firmware to handle that, so everything needs to be current to work together properly. Here's the page on the X-Link site about updating the firmware. If you haven't done that yet, it wouldn't hurt. It says the firmware is up to version 153. So are you using that version? It shows how to tell which version you have--press buttons 1 and 2 at the same time and hold for 3 seconds. Good luck!

http://www.myxlink.com/software_updates.aspx

He does not have an XLINK, but a Cell Fusion.

jsowers

Quote from: unbeldi on October 25, 2016, 08:54:27 AM
He does not have an XLINK, but a Cell Fusion.

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, the Cell Fusion has no firmware, so you are stuck. Some might say you should buy an X-link, but I think you need to get a POTS line, if your phone company still offers that.
Jonathan

shortrackskater

Thanks anyway...
Just frustrating as hell since it worked perfect BEFORE the apple update. The weird thing too is, if I pick up the phone, I get a busy signal.
But now to make it "work," I have to make sure my iphone is locked. Then, when I phone call comes in, I unlock the iphone and I'm giving the option of which device to use, one of them being the cell fusion. Then it works.
Mark J.

unbeldi

Quote from: shortrackskater on October 25, 2016, 06:33:38 PM
Thanks anyway...
Just frustrating as hell since it worked perfect BEFORE the apple update. The weird thing too is, if I pick up the phone, I get a busy signal.
But now to make it "work," I have to make sure my iphone is locked. Then, when I phone call comes in, I unlock the iphone and I'm giving the option of which device to use, one of them being the cell fusion. Then it works.

Is this a scheme of Apple to force people into discomfort using third-party headsets and such, instead of upgrading to the newest connector-less iPhone with their wireless head set?

unbeldi

Have you checked the correct settings in menu "Accessibility" ?

Jack Aman

Ditch the Cell Fusion and get an XLink.  It will be the best fifty bucks you ever spent.  Inexpensive, designed to work perfectly with pulse dialing/old phones and works perfectly with I Phone.  Firmware updates become available every time the cell makers (including Apple) change something.  You can even put settings in to work with foreign pulse standards.  I couldn't live without mine.  Lots of ringing power too...incoming cell calls produce clear bells on three 302's, a B1 on a 684 subset, and two D1's on 685A subs.