News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Blue Princess Beach Bath

Started by Doug Rose, October 17, 2020, 02:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Given the tight screw theory, I looked at one I had to find out the screw location.

In the first image, it shows the screw near the edge and in line with the plungers. Looking at the damaged phone, it becomes obvious that the large piece broken off from the housing is still attached to the phone base with the mounting screw.

If that's the case, then the reason for the damage is inside the phone, the the housing was raised up from the inside for some reason and eventually caused the larger part of the housing to break away from the piece holding it to the base. That would put the upper part of the housing crack higher than the lower plastic crack.

The small piece that fell off also indicates the larger piece broken off is still attached to the base, or it would also have fallen off.

In the second image, it shows the front edge of the housing to the left of the break is higher than the still attached piece (lower red circle) and the plunger on the blue phone is much shorter than the plunger on the white example phone (upper red circle).

The dot on the white phone shows the screw location and it seems that would be on the upper right pointed edge of the blue piece still attached to the phone. Also, the internal screw mounting post can not be seen through the crack on the larger housing part indicating it is under the small blue piece still attached.

Open it up and see what caused the upward inside pressure on the housing.

Doug Rose

Quote from: TelePlay on October 18, 2020, 12:56:22 PM
Given the tight screw theory, I looked at one I had to find out the screw location.
Open it up and see what caused the upward inside pressure on the housing.

it is in Monday's trash
Kidphone

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 18, 2020, 05:47:47 PM
it is in Monday's trash

Time to say goodbye to your phone Doug!

Western Bell

it is in Monday's trash

dat was al swaste of findng oute what hapned to the phoen.

FABphones

it is in Monday's trash

The shell yes, but the rest is usable as spares, surely only part of it is in the trash.  :(
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Quote from: Western Bell on October 19, 2020, 02:46:52 AM
dat was al swaste of findng oute what hapned to the phoen.

Is this English? I tried Google translate but got no results.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on October 19, 2020, 04:28:55 AM
The shell yes, but the rest is usable as spares, surely only part of it is in the trash.  :(
CJ..... Handset and cord were salvaged, along with the finger wheel and the gold finger stop.

The phone had been damaged in the past by water, with the dial shot, insides showing corrosion and the bottom cover barely there. I took what I could.

This was a display only. Not a huge loss at all, more of a curiosity of why it happened?  I was very happy of the results of the bleach bath on this very badly faded phone. It was an experiment.

I doubt that even if I tightened the screws too tight, this damage would appear months later.

C'est La Vie!....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 19, 2020, 07:51:23 AM

C'est La Vie!....

c'est vrai, mais triste que nous n'ayons jamais trouvé la raison.  :(
un mystère.

HowardPgh

My theory was that the edge of the dial was caught on the edge of the housing causing the upward force on that side.
Howard

countryman

That sounds plausible.
Internal stress and at one awful point of time *crack*.

Doug Rose

Quote from: HowardPgh on October 19, 2020, 02:40:33 PM
My theory was that the edge of the dial was caught on the edge of the housing causing the upward force on that side.
Howard...I like your theory. Dial was shot from being wet and did not sit properly. There was a lot of corrosion and stuff inside. That certainly makes the most sense as nothing could have fell on it with any force....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

If the transparent number plate is not cracked, it is worth saving. A lot of Sonny's Princess dials have cracked number plates. And the brown letters and numbers look better than the newer gray/black ones.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Has anyone ever tried making a replica princes case?
Seems like allot of these have cracked cases.

FABphones

Quote from: 5415551212 on October 29, 2020, 11:05:24 PM
Has anyone ever tried making a replica princes case?
Seems like allot of these have cracked cases.

Member Kleenax is a dab hand at this and creates some fabulous telephones. It is a time consuming and expensive process.

Some of his creations can be seen on his thread here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20051