News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

500 P/U Transformer

Started by HarrySmith, October 03, 2010, 12:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I was attempting to test the lamp in my mushroom phone and find I do not have a WE transformer to use on it. I have several other phone transformers but I wanted to be sure before I send voltage into my phone. I tried the TCI library but could not locate the needed info. I think you need some knowledge of the numbering sytem to locate a BSP, which I do not possess. I know several of you have functioning 500 P/U's could you supply me with the info from your transformer please?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

Dan would know i think he told me it has to put out 6-9 volts
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

I think the princess transfomer  has the proper rating.
I would try using the search feature on Remco's site to locate the proper document. Remco is now the TCI LIbrarian, so he might be able to help you locate it.
"H" phones also used a transformer, THE "h" phone was the forerunner of the p/U sets.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dennis Markham

I use the same transformer for my 500 P/U as I do for the Princess phones.  A 2012C.  The transformer reads:

PRI: 105-125V 60HZ
4.7 VA MAX
SEC: 6-8V 1.75 VA
  CAUTION
Indoor Use Only

Western Electric
2012C TRANSF

AE_Collector

2012C or a 2012A. They are the same except the A has solid metal prongs and the C has folded metal prongs. The folded metal prongs stayed in the electrical outlet better apparently.

2012B and 2012D are 18 volts rather than 6-8 volts and were used for speakerphones.

Terry

paul-f

For those that don't have access to the August 2009 Singing Wires, the early BSP recommends using dry cell batteries or other 6- to 8-volt DC supply,
if a suitable AC outlet is unavailable.

Since the voltage is only going to the lamp, there's a lot of flexibility there.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Adam

I've often wondered if you could just internally install a square 9 volt battery in a Princess phone to light the light.  Or for correctness, the battery could be installed in the phone's wall mounting block.   Anybody ever tried that?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Dave F

Quote from: ae_collector on October 03, 2010, 02:02:37 PM

2012B and 2012D are 18 volts rather than 6-8 volts and were used for speakerphones.

Terry

...and for rotary-dial Card Dialers.

bingster

I have mine set up with a standard 6 volt wall wart (most people have a bunch of these laying around doing nothing).  I cut the plug off the end of the cord, and put spade lugs on the two conductors. 
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

There are PLENTY of class 2 transformers out there at your local goodwill. Output is around 7V. Cut the end off, separate the wires (there are two). Attach one(black and white wire) to the E1 on your strip under the dial, the other( black) goes on the 5 terminal. They look like this:

then your pink will light up like this

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright