News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 troubles

Started by Kenny C, November 04, 2010, 08:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I have my 1952 302 back up and running again(thought the ringer had quit but it started working again) now I have a few problems,

1. When I dial the ringer tinkles

2. The little strip of cloth that attaches the housing to the base folds to where it puts stress on the case and I am afraid it's going to crack it. I have tried twisting it but no luck. Any tips?

Thanks,
Kenny C.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

For the bell tinkle, there are a few possible things to try.  On the B1A ringer, there is a biasing spring that can be adjusted for either of two positions.  Either firm or loose.  Try either of those positions.  If firm is too firm, then try rotating the gongs to where they are reasonable in loudness when the phone rings and so that they are farther away from the clapper.

Of course, the old standby is to reverse the tip and ring connection.  That's fancy talk for reversing the red and green line cord wire to their connections;  Red is normally connected to L1 on the 301, and Green is normally connected to L2/Y  Reverse it so green is on L1 and red is on L2/Y.

That ought to get you working.
-Bill G

Kenny C

Moving the tension spring fixed it. Now all I have to do is fix that little peice of cloth
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

The cotton strap isn't always going to be long enough for you to be able to splay open the two sides completely.  They're really made just long enough for you to lay the base flat on the table, with the cover on it's side.  But if it's too short, you can try punching a new hole with an awl, closer to the end, and then moving the screw to the new hole.  

Or are you saying it's a problem when the phone is closed?
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

When it's closed it has a gigantic buldge where the cloth is
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

It may not be attached correctly, or the wiring around it may not be routed correctly.  Can you post a photo of it?
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Or just remove the cotton strap...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Besides restating the obvious, a picture would help!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on November 05, 2010, 03:56:37 AM
When it's closed it has a gigantic buldge where the cloth is

Kenny,
Try taking a screwdriver or other tool and fold the strap to the inside as you are closing the phone.
I thiink it got creased to the outside vs the inside.
Just a guess,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.