News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Why did I buy this?

Started by Greg G., February 03, 2010, 09:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

This is what happens when I get on ebay after work when I'm tired and not thinking, I buy stuff I have little use for.  Circa 1956:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Steve

Is this a vision of the future?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

bwanna

gosh, i wish they had a book like that for the telephone woman ;)
donna

Steve

Quote from: bwanna on February 03, 2010, 10:22:08 PM
gosh, i wish they had a book like that for the telephone woman ;)

Me Too!!!
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

bwanna

anyway....it looks like a cool book, briny. i'd have bought it too ;D
donna

LarryInMichigan

I know the feeling.  I get carried away buying old things.  I just spoke with a local guy who is selling a 1941 RCA radio (for $125) on craigslist, and I will probably buy it from him tomorrow.

Larry

Steve

Yes, I think you should!

Thats one nice radio! even if it doesn't work, the wood looks fantastic!
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Steve

I noticed this the other day.

not sure why it isn't in my living room yet.

Radio guys, is there anything wrong that I should be worried about? what should I ask about it?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/1581889456.html ( dead link 12-13-21 )

Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

McHeath

The radio is way cool!  The book is way cool!  Love the graphic on the cover of PowerPhoneMan!!!  Especially that he's wearing a tie.

Greg G.

Quote from: bwanna on February 03, 2010, 10:36:30 PM
anyway....it looks like a cool book, briny. i'd have bought it too ;D

It's chock full of pretty dry stuff (dry to me, anyway), stuff that makes my eyes glaze over.  The font looks like an old typewriter.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

Briny,

The font most likely is an old typewriter, but it wasn't old when the book was typed.

LarryInMichigan

Steve,

I am in no way an expert on radios, but I have been looking at ads on craigslist and I met a local guy who collects them, and think that the radio you found is typically worth $400-$600.  If I were you, I would have bought it by now.  If you change your mind, you should be able to sell it for at least as much as you paid.

Larry

Bill

QuoteIt's chock full of pretty dry stuff (dry to me, anyway), stuff that makes my eyes glaze over.  The font looks like an old typewriter.
Briny -

How many pages? I'd be glad to scan it into electronic form for you, though I have no place to host it.

Bill

Craig T

Good telephone table material, would look nice with the phone. Good find  :)

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Bill on February 04, 2010, 01:45:50 PM
QuoteIt's chock full of pretty dry stuff (dry to me, anyway), stuff that makes my eyes glaze over.  The font looks like an old typewriter.
Briny -

How many pages? I'd be glad to scan it into electronic form for you, though I have no place to host it.

Bill
If you scan telephone stuff and use yousendit to distrubute the download, I am sure all of it  will get saved to the various telephone archives.

yousendit is free and last 1wk or 100 downloads.

This is the way a lot of the material gets distrubuted on the listservers.
It is best to write a short description of the material, including publication and date.
Jim S
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.