News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stand-alone display shelves.

Started by Greg G., April 12, 2010, 01:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I need some ideas from those of you have have stand-alone display shelves.  So far I've just put my phones on a couple of catch-alls, they're not really very good display shelves and I never intended them to be display shelves, it's just what I had on hand at the time.  I can't put up shelves on the wall because I can't be punching holes in my apartment walls.

Some pictures of what you use for stand-alone displays for you phones would go a long way to give me an idea of what to get.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AET

I also am not allowed to punch holes here, because my parents have the house for sale.  Here's my shelves.

- Tom

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Brinybay on April 12, 2010, 01:57:56 PM
I need some ideas from those of you have have stand-alone display shelves.  So far I've just put my phones on a couple of catch-alls, they're not really very good display shelves and I never intended them to be display shelves, it's just what I had on hand at the time.  I can't put up shelves on the wall because I can't be punching holes in my apartment walls.

Some pictures of what you use for stand-alone displays for you phones would go a long way to give me an idea of what to get.
Hi Brinbay,
I will try to do sme straightening and take some photos of my shelves. My phone room is kinda messy right now.

I have used walmart particleboard shelves sometimes But I don't like to. I currently use them for my library.

My recommendation is to find some solid wood shelves at a thrift store or Craigslist. Have an Idea of some of the places you want (Or can) put them. This will give you an Idea of the size shelves you want to get.

I prefer 12" deep bookcases. I like floor to ceiling bookcases for the walls, And I use shorter ones in the center of the room.

My shelves were all cheap or free.  If the shelves are adjustable, then I set them at a permenant height and run screws thu the side into the shelves.  I usually have 12-13" spacing between shelfs. Width depends on wall space and other bookcases that I have.

If the shelf unit is rickity, I screw it together to make it solid. A back on the shelf also helps keep things solid.

Some of my bookcases are set Back-to-back, Most of these I screw together, I also screw them together if they are side by side.

My set-up is in an unfinished part of my basement so I throw a couple of screws into the studs as well.

Size wise I like floor to ceiling bookcases that are about 1' deep. 
If I set them up in the center of the room I prefer to use shorter shelfs.

I try to provide around 40" min. front clearance. This is about the minimum that works for me to comfortably see the phones on the shelf. I picked 40" by standing a comfortable distance from the shelf and measuring from the front of the shelf to my back pocket.

I am working on covering the walls with tall bookcases.
In the center of the room I have  some more bookcases set at an angle. This angle gives me a little more space to view the phones.  In theory I am going to mount some wall phones on the ends of the bookcases.

Along the main phone wall, I eventually am going to add single-gang rings and put it modular jacks , so I can hook the phones up to a Panisonic 616 . I will also add some cord connected outlets to some or each shelf for power where needed.

Most of my bookcases were free or Thrift stores, I realized that CL is a great place to lovcate shelves. I am planning on running a wanted ad for the shelves I need.

Size isn't that big of a deal on the first few shelves, As you get more shelves you may need to shift thinga around a bit to get them to work together. I use graph paper and draw it out. Moving shelves are a hassle so I try to bget them laid out right. I also think about my design for a couple of days before I move the bookcases, Many times I find a better layout, before I move them.

I realize my situation is different. I have a dedicated room for the phones (It isn't in my main living space). I use to want to buy real nice shelves, but I realized that I want to display phones and not shelving. (and I am Cheap).

I think the most I paid for a shelf unit was $40. It is 5' widex 5' tall and about 1' deep. It is oak veneer plywood.  Shallower shelfs work for smaller foot print phones like trimlines, princess, Imperial ect. and for interesting small go-withs.
For 302's and 500's I like 1' deep.

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AET

I've got to take some pics of my dad's brewery collection Curio Cabinets, he's got a few grand just in displays.
- Tom

mienaichizu

glass shelves would be fine just like what I did

AET

If you're worried about fading, you can always go with UV glass.  We have some lithographs that have UV glass and Acid Free backings, real good stuff!
- Tom

Greg G.

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on April 16, 2010, 05:27:33 AM
If you're worried about fading, you can always go with UV glass.  We have some lithographs that have UV glass and Acid Free backings, real good stuff!

Where do you get UV glass at?  (Don't say "At a UV glass store!").  I have a vintage magazine ad that I would like to protect from fading.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AET

I'm sure if you talk to a shop that specifies in framing and matting, they'd sell it, or know where you can get it.
- Tom