News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sad day.

Started by AET, April 20, 2010, 06:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

This bird's leaving the nest by the end of this week.  Spent this evening packing up all my rotary phones, besides the two that are hooked up, and those on my standing shelf.  Doesn't sound like much, but it was 4 cheese boxes full.  It was a saddening experience, packing up here.  Moving out of Mom and Dad's house for the first time.  Not trying to sound whiny, just sharing a big moment in my life with people who, though I've never met, are a big part of my life.
- Tom

McHeath

Thanks for sharing it Tom, it is a big deal when you move out from the folks house.  I never had a single clean break moment like you are having, it was done in fits and spurts as I went off to college and slowly moved out more, came back some, then slowly left.  Didn't know I was moved out till after I was long out, it was a shock to realize. 

I think you'll do well in life, you are responsible, hard working, and from what I can see off to a good start in life.

Congrads on your move.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on April 20, 2010, 06:16:45 AM
This bird's leaving the nest by the end of this week.  Spent this evening packing up all my rotary phones, besides the two that are hooked up, and those on my standing shelf.  Doesn't sound like much, but it was 4 cheese boxes full.  It was a saddening experience, packing up here.  Moving out of Mom and Dad's house for the first time.  Not trying to sound whiny, just sharing a big moment in my life with people who, though I've never met, are a big part of my life.

Tom,
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
After you get used to it, you will enjoy being on your own.
You will also realize that any mess you make, will be there until you clean it up. Putting off chores now, also means more chores later.

I was really surprised at all the minor things were taken care of by my parents when I lived at home, I had never given it much thought.

If you are thinking of getting a roomate, wait 6 months before you do.  It is a  really interesting experience to live by yourself for the first time. You will learn things about yourself that you never realized before.
It is also a good time to learn how to organize your lifestyle around your habits.  Once you learn to do that they place is a lot easier to take care off.

Enjoy your new lifestyle, you're a "Big" Boy Now.
Congratulations,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AET

Thanks for your kind words Jim and McHeath.  It's really sneaked up on me here.  I knew I was moving in there soon, and have just not been in a hurry, since my folks and I get along so well.  I've been over there painting and cleaning and what-not.   Then the other day my dad tells me he wants me moved out by the end of the week, so that kinda hit me. 

I'm not going to have a roommate.  I'm kinda a creature of habit and very set in my ways, the only people I think I could ever live with are my family, since they're already built to take my crap :)
- Tom

GusHerb

All 3 of my siblings moved out at age 18 and never looked back, they also all went off to college at that time too. Every one of them loves being on their own, though now it just happens to be that my 2 sisters and brother all live in the same town.....In Santa Cruz California. Although none of them live with one another........ can anyone say catfight? LOL ;D
I got 2 more years left before leaving, I'll love being on my own when that day comes.
Jonathan

AET

Oh, I love the idea of my independence, of course.  What teenager wouldn't?  Not to mention the fact that I have way too much stuff to be living in one room!  It's just one of those things, been so crazy packing, and reflecting on living here with my family, moving on, etc, etc.  Got the phones all packed up today, except for the two hooked up in my room, totalled 10 boxes, oh, there are a couple over at my apartment already.
- Tom

Bill Cahill

My oldest sister moved out first. Then, the next oldest, as she went off to colledge, medical school, and, moved to New York.
I moved after that at the age of 20.
My younger brother moved out when my mom died in 1976.
I've learned by the seat of my pants. I guess we all do....
I now keep my house cleanner. It's much easier on you to do a little at a time than all at once.
I know you will do well in the class of life 101.
God bless you, my friend.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

AET

Thanks Bill.  That was very well put, and almost enough to bring a tear to a glass eye.
- Tom

GusHerb

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on April 21, 2010, 04:48:01 AM
Oh, I love the idea of my independence, of course.  What teenager wouldn't?  Not to mention the fact that I have way too much stuff to be living in one room!  It's just one of those things, been so crazy packing, and reflecting on living here with my family, moving on, etc, etc.  Got the phones all packed up today, except for the two hooked up in my room, totalled 10 boxes, oh, there are a couple over at my apartment already.

Honestly that sounds just like me, I swear I have enough stuff in my room to fill a small moving truck, let alone the big things I keep in our basement. For me leaving the one home I've been living in all my life will not be too easy (though them selling it and no longer having it in the family would be alot tougher)
Jonathan

AET

I hear ya Gus.  I have a room full of stuff, plus the stuff I was storing in various rooms in our other house, our garage at our other house was half full of my stuff, I got 4 cars sitting here. 

I got almost all my phones over at the apartment now too.  Really made it feel like home. 
- Tom

Tonyrotary

Tom,

Congrads on the move.  :)

bwanna

dang, bill, you brought a tear to my eye.  :'(
so ... how's it goin' on your own tom?

i call my son "my yo-yo child". he has moved out & back so many times. currently out.... but one room & 1/2 the garage is full of his stuff.   ::) guess i should have said what your dad said, tom....... :o
donna

AET

Well Donna, I am behind schedule, but should be moved in in the next couple of days.  My dad wants me to leave my breweriana here because he likes it, so I am, plus my cars are staying here.

Most everything is there besides my bed, dresser, night stand, alarm clocks, dresser, and clothes.

My satellite dish is in, and Dad and I are going to wire telephone up there from is fax number, so I only have to pay half the bill.

And there's a chance I may be moving again soon.  My folks are talking about helping me buy a house just down the road from them, it's actually two houses and a 2 car garage, so I'd have rental income as well. 
- Tom

Greg G.

Boy, I remember when I first got my own apartment, it was great!  That was the early 70s, long before I had my phone bug, so I was forced to spend my spare money on beer.  The rent then was $40 a month for a small 1 bedroom. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Bill Cahill

I've been in alot of places in my life. The present house I'm in is the longest I've been in one spot.
24  years now.Tom, you are lucky to have such a supportive family. I agree. It's time to fly from the nest. But, don't make yourself a complete stranger.
Visit once in awhile. Even invite them to your pad occasionally.
I'm glad i'm on my own, but, do miss my parent's house where it all started.
I love my family.
I think you'll do well, Tom..
Welcome to life 101.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."