News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

External ringer???

Started by benkeys, March 18, 2013, 04:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

Came across this on ebay, while doing a random search of telephone ringers. Is this an actual phone ringer and would it be at all usable? After i kept looking at it it sorta reminded of the old fashioned doorbell ringer that was in my house when i was a kid. Is it possible it could be used as a doorbell ringer? Say at 12 or 15 volts? http://www.ebay.com/itm/300875091102
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

Phonesrfun

Ben.  You have hit the nail right on the head.  It is no more a telephone ringer than it is a doorknob.  It is a low voltage doorbell, or other general purpose bell.

It would not be at all useable for most phone applications.
-Bill G

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

benkeys

I thought that looked like an old bell for a doorbell. I also didnt think it was a phone bell but i had to ask.. If i can get it at the start price i'll take a chance on it to have a doorbell. I much rather have that then a modern day doorbell, that just goes "ding" when you push the button.  I do not have a 7D system nor do i know what one is. That link didnt really provide much info.
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

cello973

For the .99 starting price and $6.00 shipping you could probably find one at home depot or Ace.... They are still being manufactured.
Vince

LarryInMichigan

I have a really big, loud one which I got in a box of assorted stuff from an estate sale.  It is missing the cover over the coil though.  I would be willing to part with it for cheap, but if you don't mind a new Chinese version, a hardware store would be your best bet.

Larry

benkeys

I rather have an old american made one than a new chinese one. Larry, i'm interested if you can wait, as i'm still trying to figure out if the old xmfr is still good and what voltage it is. I'll send you a PM

LarryInMichigan

This is what I have.  It weighs about 2 lbs.  It does work but doesn't look beautiful.

Larry