News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two issues with an AE40

Started by HudValley, March 27, 2013, 01:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HudValley

Poplar, thanks for noticing that: corrected. Still having problems dialing out. Whenever I dial a number, I get three beeps and then a dial tone.

Here's the dial as it sits right now.

P.S. I probably owe you all a drink at some point, right? I don't know how you have the time to respond to all these questions, but we newbies sure do appreciate it.

stub

Rob,
       Your governor is about to fall out , tighten the screw up untill the dial won't return,then loosen it till the dial spins freely and tighten the lock nut. The speed for it to return from dialing  0 is about 1.2 sec.  or  one Mississippi       
        Are you sure the contacts open and close when a number is dialed now that you have adjusted the dial?  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on March 28, 2013, 12:29:59 PM
Make sure the spade tips on the two wires for the pulsing contacts are not touching each other. They were not in your original photo but they appear to be in the most recent photo.
YES, poplar 1 has a really good point,i had just gotten done with my parents 202 and was doing the final tests and everything was working except transmission.scratching my head and frustrated i walked away untill the next day.came back the next day,opened the 202 up and there it was.2 wires touching each other, thus shorting each other out.quickly fixed that problem and the 202 was good to go ;)

HudValley

I believe that my problem is the following:

The parts I have highlighted below do not make contact at any point. If this is indeed the problem, how can I correct it?

Thanks,

Rob

LarryInMichigan

Bend the metal piece pointed to by the green arrow very slightly to the right.

Larry

stub

Rob,
       When you rotate the dial finger wheel the contact assy. is supposed to drop down and almost touch the fiber cam. When you release the finger wheel the cam rotates and the high side of the cam should open the 1st (longest ) contact the number of times the number you dialed.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

HudValley

I don't believe the high side of the cam is making contact and opening what it needs to. Bending the one piece identified didn't correct the problem. I think the cam (which I assume is the brown piece) needs to make contact with something right?

Rob

HudValley

Since I lack the words (and knowledge) to describe what I need to, I'm posting a link to a video of the phone dialing. Sorry about the shaky quality, but it's hard to hold a phone and record while at the same time dialing a phone. Hope this helps!

Rob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXYmZgLFr3U

AE_Collector

Yeah you need a spring bender. Like Stub said, that outside longest spring contact should be following the fiber cam whe nit rotates. You can see that it is arched away from the fiber cam down towards where it is attached. Something probably snagged it and bent it backwards. You need to work at it close to where it attaches to put tension on it towards the fiber cam.

Terry

southernphoneman

in regards to this dial assembly remember there is always steve hilz