News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 500 C/D 425A Net won't ring

Started by HudValley, April 10, 2013, 07:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HudValley

I have a 1966 500 C/D with a 425A Net. I have checked and double checked wiring diagrams to try and get this phone to ring. I changed the black ringer wire to L1 and that got the clapper moving, but barely. It's movement is almost imperceptible, and not nearly enough to ring the bells.

The phone dials out and accepts call. Everything else is good.

I have included some pictures of it's current wiring. I hope you guys can help!

Thanks!

Rob

twocvbloke

There's a little bias spring under the clapper in a G-shaped thing (see picture), if it's over to the left side, move it to the right and this will allow the clapper to move more freely... :)

HudValley

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't change anything. It almost like the clapper is vibrating its moving so slightly.

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Rob

twocvbloke

If you could take some more pictures of the ringer, just to see if there's anything physical wrong with it, or if it's an electrical issue (such as a failed ringer capacitor which is between the A & K terminals inside the network), it would help a great deal... :)

G-Man

What type of line is it connected to? Is it traditional pots line or through VoIP modem?

Do you have several other telephones connected to the same line? If so, temporarily disconnect the others and see if it improves.

southernphoneman

Quote from: HudValley on April 10, 2013, 08:57:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't change anything. It almost like the clapper is vibrating its moving so slightly.

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Rob
on the ringer, there is a little tip that goes into a hole under the hook switch assembly. above that tip there is an adjustment screw and you turn that a little bit either way and be careful, sometimes it is more beneficial just to replace the whole assembly, these things are tempermental, hopefully we will help you get this thing working,if you can not find the screw I am talking about let me know and I will take a photo of mine and show you where it is and if you turn this screw only turn it maybe  a 32nd of an inch at a time remember to be careful..... southernphoneman

G-Man

Quote from: southernphoneman on April 11, 2013, 05:08:00 AM

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Rob
on the ringer, there is a little tip that goes into a hole under the hook switch assembly. above that tip there is an adjustment screw and you turn that a little bit either way and be careful, sometimes it is more beneficial just to replace the whole assembly, these things are tempermental, hopefully we will help you get this thing working,if you can not find the screw I am talking about let me know and I will take a photo of mine and show you where it is and if you turn this screw only turn it maybe  a 32nd of an inch at a time remember to be careful..... southernphoneman

Perhaps you are referencing a ringer for another type of set since C-type ringers used in 500-type sets do not have adjustment screws other than for the gongs.

I may be misunderstanding your description, but the mounting screws located above the hole that the ringer bayonet-tip is secured to on the switchook contact mounting, are just that; they are used to mount and retain contact assembly's insulators and contact leafs to that mounting.

A photo would be helpful for identifying the screw you are attempting to describe.

Tom B

That looks like a 425E network - 425A's were on very early 500's, being phased out in about 1952. Check the specs for the wiring of the E network and see if that sorts your problem.
Tom

southernphoneman

Quote from: G-Man on April 11, 2013, 05:28:41 AM
Quote from: southernphoneman on April 11, 2013, 05:08:00 AM

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Rob

Perhaps you are referencing a ringer for another type of set since C-type ringers used in 500-type sets do not have adjustment screws other than for the gongs.

I may be misunderstanding your description, but the mounting screws located above the hole that the ringer bayonet-tip is secured to on the switchook contact mounting, are just that; they are used to mount and retain contact assembly's insulators and contact leafs to that mounting.

A photo would be helpful for identifying the screw you are attempting to describe.

yes I believe your right, my mistake.

HudValley

Tom,

You are definitely right, it's a 425E: my mistake. It actually was wired for 425E, but I mistakenly wrote 425A. So the problem remains the same.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and please keep them coming.

Rob

G-Man

Quote from: Tom B on April 11, 2013, 12:40:17 PM
That looks like a 425E network - 425A's were on very early 500's, being phased out in about 1952. Check the specs for the wiring of the E network and see if that sorts your problem.

The ringer is wired correctly and the telephone functions properly so it is unlikely to that is the problem.

There are a couple of other possibilities but we are waiting for his response regarding whether he is using a standard pots line or a voIP modem.

If he has too many telephones connected this telephone may not be receiving enough ringing current. If that is not the case we can explore the other possibilities but let's proceed one step at a time.

HudValley

Hey guys,

I am connected through my internet modem, so I assume that is VOIP. This is probably the tenth 500 phone I've worked on, and I've never had issues in the past. In fact, I just got one up and ringing the other day.

Let me know how to proceed.

And, as always, thanks.

Rob

G-Man

Quote from: HudValley on April 12, 2013, 07:54:50 PM
Hey guys,

I am connected through my internet modem, so I assume that is VOIP. This is probably the tenth 500 phone I've worked on, and I've never had issues in the past. In fact, I just got one up and ringing the other day.

Let me know how to proceed.

And, as always, thanks.

Rob

OK, now have you temporarily disconnect all of the other telephones as was suggested earlier?

If it rings ok then your modem is not able to supply enough ringing current to all of them at the same time.

If it still does not work satisfactory then we need to proceed to the next step.

HudValley

Yes, all phones have been disconnected. The repair phone is the only one hooked up.

So, let's try the next step. Side question: Why would other 500s ring when hooked up, but not this one, if it was a ringing current issue?

Thanks,
Rob

twocvbloke

Quote from: HudValley on April 13, 2013, 12:12:19 AMSo, let's try the next step. Side question: Why would other 500s ring when hooked up, but not this one, if it was a ringing current issue?

Well, if there's no other phones connected, and it's not a frequency ringer, then it's either a bad capacitor in the network, or a faulty ringer coil, substitution is the next step (testing this ringer in another 500, and testing another 500's ringer in this phone)... :)