News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Calling All Princesses, Got My First Princess, Need a few parts.

Started by Snake, January 28, 2012, 09:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake

For those who don't already know me, my name's Tristan, I'm a new member, and I'm looking to expand my knowledge and collection through being an active member on the forum.

So, Today I got my first Princess, I got it off craigeslist for $15, the guy said it was "all original" but I haven't really looked at it yet. It looks good to me, he said it was his aunts. I want to get it working again, and the whole socket and light is missing from it. So what I think I need for it is:

~ A modular to Spade line w/ strain relief
~ A light
~ A Socket
~ And a transformer

I'd really appreciate it if anyone had these parts, let me know what you have and how much you want for them. Also let me know your thought's on the phone. Thanks for reading! ;D

Dan

I was going to call but you blacked out your number ;). Those  sockets are somewhat hard to find. I got one at a swap meet for $3. Looks nice, with little yellowing and a good cord. Well worth $15. Sorry I can't help with parts, but you got a good deal.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Snake

Quote from: Dan on January 28, 2012, 10:05:11 PM
I was going to call but you blacked out your number ;). Those  sockets are somewhat hard to find. I got one at a swap meet for $3. Looks nice, with little yellowing and a good cord. Well worth $15. Sorry I can't help with parts, but you got a good deal.

Haha,  :D. And yah they are hard to find, and I can find them on some parts sites, but I really don't feel like paying as much as I did for the phone, or more, just for the socket  :-\. Hopefully someone on here will have a spare they could let go for a little less.

bwanna

hi tristan...i can help you out with a transformer....maybe the socket. the bulb you could get at the auto part store. what do you mean by modular to spade line. you'l have to give me a couple days to look around for the socket.

welcome to the forum!
donna

Snake

Quote from: bwanna on January 28, 2012, 11:55:18 PM
hi tristan...i can help you out with a transformer....maybe the socket. the bulb you could get at the auto part store. what do you mean by modular to spade line. you'l have to give me a couple days to look around for the socket.

welcome to the forum!

Hey, yah I heard you can get the bulb at radio shacks, auto parts stores etc, so I'm not to worried about that. But that's great to hear that you help me out with a transformer and possibly a socket! By modular to spade I mean like the one in this VVV picture. Let me know if/when you find the socket, and how much you want for it, and the transformer.

Cheers, Tristan

Dan/Panther

Welcome Tristan, whatever you need after Bwanna finds for you let us know, I think I might have a few extra parts also.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Snake

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 29, 2012, 09:27:03 PM
Welcome Tristan, whatever you need after Bwanna finds for you let us know, I think I might have a few extra parts also.
D/P

Thanks! I'll let you know if I do. ;D

jsowers

Tristan, instead of a replaced mounting cord, you might want to consider putting a modular surface-mount wall jack on the end of the white mounting cord. It would keep the phone more original looking and still work fine. Then you use a standard 4-wire modular phone cord the rest of the way.

Just connect red-green-yellow-black to the wires in the jack and tape up the other wires, if any, so they don't touch. You can also use that as a junction box for the transformer wires.

I have a white 702 like yours that's been connected that way for over 10 years and it works fine.
Jonathan

Dan/Panther

If you can use this. Check PM.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

tristan....sorry it will be tomorrow evening before i get a chance to look. re: the line cord. what dan has looks like a good idea. something i do is wire a 4 prong jack to the end. this is easily done with out wrecking the spade ends. of  course you will then need to install the 4 prong jack. you could also wire the spade ends right to the back of a modular jack.

not to discount your idea jonathan... i am just real fussy & that looks tacky to me. ::)  i know alot of folks do it your way tho.  ;D
donna

jsowers

Quote from: bwanna on January 30, 2012, 08:42:59 PM
not to discount your idea jonathan... i am just real fussy & that looks tacky to me. ::)  i know alot of folks do it your way tho.  ;D

No offense taken, Donna, and I wouldn't do that modular jack thing if I put it on display. The one phone I did that to has the jack sitting behind and below the headboard of my bed, so it's unseen. Except when I drop my reading glasses behind the bed.  :)  At one time there were some great smaller inline modular wall jacks that were almost the size of a 283B plug, but a little longer, and they didn't look too bad and they didn't need the spade lugs bent at 90 degrees. I have one of those exiting out my kitchen wall jack for plugging a modem, etc. in. But I am a stickler about things too, so I totally understand.
Jonathan

bwanna

ha! jonathan...i knew you were a stickler for detail! :D

tristan...sorry no light socket. i knew i had a couple princess parts phones......but of course you know what got parted out first. :o

i do have plenty transformers. they are easy to come by in my line of work.  ;) i really wouldn't change out the line cord. you could go with a 283a plug...but like jonathan sez you kinda have to bend the spades. i have some 42a connecting blocks. that would not look too bad if your jacks are the baseboard mount types.
PM me if interested...
donna

Snake

Quote from: bwanna on January 31, 2012, 08:06:31 PM
tristan...sorry no light socket. i knew i had a couple princess parts phones......but of course you know what got parted out first. :o
i do have plenty transformers. they are easy to come by in my line of work.  ;) i really wouldn't change out the line cord. you could go with a 283a plug...but like jonathan sez you kinda have to bend the spades. i have some 42a connecting blocks. that would not look too bad if your jacks are the baseboard mount types.
PM me if interested...

I appreciate the help!

Just so you guys know, this is what the end of my cord looks like.

And also, I'm not very experienced working on telephones. I just haven't had to work on a lot of the one's I own so bear with me :D. I noticed that two of the connectors are cut at the ends, I think that might have been for a reason? It sounds like everyones saying to keep the original line but I don't know if it's salvageable like that? Let me know what you guys would do now seeing the condition the spades on the end of the line are in.

Cheers, Tristan

AE_Collector

Yeah someone broke off the green and red leads spades which are the ones you really need! You can get replacement spade tips and a tool to install them but for now I would suggest the surface mounted jack on the end of your cords because you can wrap the stripped ends of the red and green leads around the appropriate screw terminals in the jack to get the phone working.

Terry

jsowers

Tristan, there may be someone near you in California who could repair your spades. We have several Forum members in California. If you don't mind posting what general area of CA you're in, maybe you can find a nearby Forum member?
Jonathan