News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Battery telephones

Started by johnfin, February 02, 2012, 12:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnfin

Are there any forums out there for vintage battery/magneto telephones. I need help with one and cant find a forum.

LarryInMichigan

This would be the place.  Some of the members here are interested in local battery phones.  Try posting your request for help to the "Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair" section.

Larry

Russ Kirk

Well,  I believe the owner/moderators would have final say on this,  but here are my two cents.

I have found this forum to be the friendliest, most helpful and easiest to use compared to other forums.  That's why I spend 90%+ of my time reviewing and communicating about antique telephones.

While the name implies rotary exclusivity,  we do very often discuss non-rotary and generator sets (as well as very interesting "off-topic" subjects.  While most of the experts on pre-rotary phones communicate on other forums,  they do visit this site from time to time and chime in with good info.   I have NEVER found anyone complaining or objecting to pre- or non-rotary phone topics being discussed.  

Well,  that's my 2 cents worth.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

wds

What is the forum that discusses pre-rotary phones?
Dave

Russ Kirk

Quote from: wds on February 02, 2012, 01:49:00 PM
What is the forum that discusses pre-rotary phones?

I usually go to Yahoo Groups - Singingwires forum.  It's not that they are exclusive to pre-rotaty but also discuss everything.  I just prefer this forum for many reasons.  yahoo forums are not as easy for viewing messages and attachments.  Unlike this one you can see the photo embedded in the message and navigation is easier.

Please don't get me wrong,  I am not bashing YF in any way its a great place ,  just I love this one sooo much better.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Russ Kirk

Quote from: johnfin on February 02, 2012, 12:54:42 PM
Are there any forums out there for vintage battery/magneto telephones. I need help with one and cant find a forum.

So, johnfin,

Did you have question about a specific generator phone?  I have many also.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

dsk

Quote from: Russ Kirk on February 02, 2012, 01:30:44 PM
Well,  I believe the owner/moderators would have final say on this,  but here are my two cents.

I have found this forum to be the friendliest, most helpful and easiest to use compared to other forums.  That's why I spend 90%+ of my time reviewing and communicating about antique telephones.

While the name implies rotary exclusivity,  we do very often discuss non-rotary and generator sets (as well as very interesting "off-topic" subjects.  While most of the experts on pre-rotary phones communicate on other forums,  they do visit this site from time to time and chime in with good info.   I have NEVER found anyone complaining or objecting to pre- or non-rotary phone topics being discussed.  

Well,  that's my 2 cents worth.

Agree!!

dsk

johnfin

Russ, I have a kellogg telephone and want to know more about it, ie year and model. Its in bad shape. I think is suppose to look like the pic you provided on the bottom.

Russ Kirk

That does look like the generator/bell box from a two box phone.  Even though it is bit tied tit sure is a keeper.  It will clean up nice.  Give it a good wipe down to remove the dust and dirt. I would not try to re-stain it,  IMHO it might ruin its collectibility.   Even though you don't have the rest of the phone it should still display nicely.

Take a look at the TCI library for a Kellogg catalog for more info.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

Without better photos I would not be able to give much more info. But I'll keep looking. 
After all reading and searching through those old catalogs is half the fun!

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

HarrySmith

I agree, it is not so bad! A Quick cleanup will do wonders and parts should not be too hard to find.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"