News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Missbehaving 500 after cleaning with light soap and water.

Started by HobieSport, September 02, 2009, 06:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

Hobie, did you replace the plug during your cleaning/servicing? I just had our 500 act up. Was plugging other phones into the jack normally reserved for our 500 for testing purposes. Next morning the phone rang but the 500 was silent. Thinking I forgot to plug it in I checked and it was plugged in. I plugged another phone in the jack and it worked. Worried the 500 broke, I started troubleshooting with the plug first. I wiggled the plug while listening for a dial tone and got one. Turns out the plug was not making contact properly though it did before.

McHeath

Yeah I'd start with that plug and see if the problemo is there. 

Phonesrfun

I will be available after about 6pm Pacific tonight.  Looks like you are all prepared.
-Bill G

phoneguy06

It's a really nice all matching dates December 1968 in good shape, and I had it advertised on Ebay before it started misbehaving, so I ended the auction.  I'd keep it but it's too darn young for my tastes. Only a 40 year old whippersnapper.
[/quote]

Seeing a 1968 500 get called "too young" and "a whippersnapper" made me laugh, especially since the one I use on my desk at the moment is my 1991 model. Perhaps it gives new meaning to the term "Baby Bell" :D

Phonesrfun

Matt:

I am available if you check in.  I don't see you in the who's on line at this moment.

-Bill G

HobieSport

I've been doing other projects, but am ready to try to get this phone working anytime. I'm not sure where to start. Testing the line first makes sense, because I did put on a new jack, but I'm uneducated with the use of the multi tester. So if we can walk through this some more I'd greatly appreciate it!
-Matt

Dan/Panther

I routinely submerge electronics in water to clean them.
The problem is not the watre, it's attempting to use it when wet.
I use high pressure compressed air to blow out the item, then usually let it set for A day or so, to insure it is dry. I've not had any problems with that method. Most people cringe when I set my vacuum cleaner out side, and touroughly drench it with the garden house to clean it out,
I then blow it out and let it set for awhile and just start using it.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

HobieSport

It turns out that the phone is fine now. The problem was in my phone line. I'll put this phone on Ebay, since it's a 1968; too new for my tastes. Anyone here born in December 1968? (Or an anniversary?)
-Matt

Dennis Markham

December of 1968.  I remember it well.  Apollo 8 was first manned space flight to circle the moon and return to earth.   For all of you old enough to recall..........It was Christmas time.......Sorry, I couldn't help but think of that when I read the date of December 1968.

foots

"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

HobieSport

Quote from: foots
Hey Hobie, what color is that phone?

;D Why, extra shiny black, of course!  ;)

Photographing outdoors with nice light and reflections of trees, sky, flowers, etc. seems to really work well.

And thanks Dennis, I hadn't thought about the Apollo 8 date. The phone is on eBay now, my first listing ever. I started it at $15 and with a ridiculously high BIN price of $125, which I don't expect to get of course, but one never knows with eBay...
-Matt

Dennis Markham

What's the item  number Hobie.  If you don't mind I'd like to take a look.

HobieSport

It's here, Dennis:

http://tinyurl.com/m9erf8

My first listing, and perhaps my description may seem overblown and pretentious, but that's the kind of thing I'd like to read as a buyer. If anyone has any suggestions to how better list/describe the phone I'm quite open to any constructive criticism...
-Matt

Dennis Markham

Hobie I think it's an excellent listing.  Very good description and it's obvious you believe in your product!  Good luck!