News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 396 or BTMC 2652 look-alike

Started by countryman, January 09, 2020, 10:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

I came across a couple of these recently. This one looks painted. The dial is mounted in a different way than on the BTMC while the case looks similar. It even looks like a more modern dial of inferior quality, and with American lettering.
Were these phones "refurbished" for the antique market? They don't look like a reproduction altogether, but not correct either.
Ebay link: https://www.ebay.de/itm/124034636432

rdelius

Many of these European sets were painted for the antique trade in the 1960s. That dial has a sticker with the numbers on it.I have seen these with French flag decals on them and were not even French telephones .I think the dial is a modified Ericsson type.

FABphones

I have seen similar which were reproductions made in Japan. I couldn't say for sure what that one is without a closer look at those labels, so if you are interested in it ask for a clear photo of the labels on the base, including the wording underneath the rolled up edges. At the very least I would say it was originally aimed at the designer market.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

rdelius

Not a reproduction but the gong under the cradle and the dial were added,might have new guts added also besides the new paint.

countryman

Thanks for your opinions. I'm not interested, just curious  8)
A funny thing is that it seems to have a brass "tan" over silvery/grizzly metal. So it's not "brassed out" but "nickeled out" maybe...

I came across this auction as I looked for spares for my swedish Televerket (Ericsson?) intermediate set which has been messed up quite a little. I now purchased this red fragment for parts and hope I will be able to use the ringer and terminals. It's the first phone I bought for parts. It also has been painted and decorated with brass coloured trim and a fake gong/cradle like the white painted one. I hope the red phone lovers don't mind me parting it out.

HarrySmith

All correct opinions so far. I had a customer a few years back that collected only those phones. The real ones in White. He had quite a few. Some with minor differences and by different manufacturers. He had me fix a couple to work and also swap some parts around. Very nice, well made phones. Some of them were Very, Very Nice, enamel paint, real gold plating & silk cords!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

You might be seeing very worn gold plating over nickle over brass.