News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE -1236QB 10 button payphone

Started by TelePlay, April 23, 2015, 07:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

The seller claims, and has priced, this payphone is rare. Seller wants a $500 minimum bid but has a BIN on it at $650. I can not recall ever using a 10 button in the 60s. But, then, I don't remember much from the 60s.

Seller described it as "Northern Electric 1967 Ten Button Payphone - NE-1236QB:  Super-rare Ten Button NORTHERN ELECTRIC Payphone from 1967.  Please see photos for condition.  In full working order.  Deposited coins make all the right sounds and will divert to coin return.  Coins are not required to place a call.  Includes original internal ringer and a modular line cord has been connected in.  Just plug it in and hang it on a wall! Weighs 30 lbs, so shipping is expensive."

Seems to have all the original parts. Will it sell? Don't know. Posting this here for posterity.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WORKING-Northern-Electric-1967-Ten-Button-Payphone-NE-1236QB-/231540745317

DavePEI

They are quite rare, but not sure if $650 rare! You see very darn few of the TT version of these, and in 10 digit! Nice phone.

Touch Tone 3 Slot - prepay. No subset needed - Q-series network and G1A or G1C ringer located in upper housing. Uses a 15 pin Cinch DA15 connectors to connect the upper and lower sections unlike earlier versions, which used a series of contact strips
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Ktownphoneco

That is a bit on the "pricey" side, but it's a nice payphone, and a 10 button isn't easy to find these days.    Last summer I re-wired a Northern 233-G 3 slot pre-pay, back to a working payphone, from one which had been converted to operate as a normal telephone.      I obtained a coin relay for it, and wired it according to factory specs, including a proper subscriber set.      I purchased a payphone controller from eBay seller and telephone collector, "Gray-Western", and installed it underneath the subset.      He charges a fair dollar for them ( around $219.00 USD ), but it certainly performs well, restoring the payphone to pretty much it's original functions.   Although, as I mentioned, the controller is not cheap, I'm quite happy with it's operation, and I'm fairly confident I could get my money out of it if I were to sell it complete, and as it sits.      ( See attached pdf ).

Jeff Lamb     

andre_janew

For the price he's asking it should have a straight armored handset cord instead of the coiled one shown.  Not only that, he should have repaired that gouge on the handset.  It should be correct and nearly perfect for what he is asking in my opinion.

Dave F

Yes, 10-button payphones are pretty rare.  The Western Electric 1234G was unveiled at the 1964 World Fair in NY.  This was concurrent with the general introduction of Touchtone dialing.  I never saw a 1234G installed in Los Angeles, but that's not a big surprise, as we didn't get touchtone service until 1966!  I have a 1234G in my collection.

You can see it here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2318302490964d95d64e6e22a20decd5&topic=865.msg83626#msg83626

DF

Fushigi Ojisan

Wanted to revive this thread to say I just picked one up at the Lancaster show for $100, looks to be made in 1971.   If I post pics (in a new thread) could someone tell me more about it?

Also, it has the coin door but its missing the lock, not sure what is holding the door in place but it doesn't want to budge, what are my alternatives?
Fushigi Ojisan
Otaku with interesting hobbies