News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting WE302 eBay lot just arrived

Started by allnumbedup, January 01, 2022, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allnumbedup

I won a "make an offer" on eBay with a lot of interesting components.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154767876490

The main items were a 1939 metal case WE302 with a very late volume control ringer. The other phone was a 4/1950 WE306 with an H5 mounting code, B3A ringer and 372a tube. The ringer has a copper center block on one of the bells. Included was a set of mahogany brown older style plug and jack that would look nice paired on a mahogany 500 phone. The extra hand sets included a complete F4 handset with U1 and T1 elements--it has a "koiled kord". Two nice dial cards and two interesting hangers too.
I am curious if anyone can comment on these ringers and the handset hangers ....What might these receiver hangers and blocks have been used for? They fit an F1 handset better than a G1. The blocks are thick painted steel with a rubber cushion behind. The hooks are metal, painted black and labeled 9a.  I am thinking these would be part of a intercom with a push to talk type handset?  Also I have not noticed 302's with ringers like either of these before either. Why is one bell capped and when was loudness control added for 302 sets---I am thinking it was the same time 5300's were being made and this is a replacement bell with the volume control knob added using the bottom vents original to a 300-type set?
Analog Phones for a Digital World

poplar1

Here is one use for the hanger (ebay photo):

It could also be used with a 354 or 211 as a handset rest when you didn't want to disconnect the call.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

The ringer with volume control is the same B1A or B1AL used in other 302s. One gong mount is bent down so that the volume control can be installed. Your ringer is dated 7-53, which is still 2 years before 5302s were assembled from old 302s. Check the dates on the cords (56?) and updates on the transmitter unit to see if there are matching dates; that could be a good indication of the year the phone was remanufactured at the WE Repair Shops. (Also, look for the lubrication date on the dial -- though I don't see one here -- such as "58L" stamped on the governor.) Date of a replaced number plate could also match the other dates above.

The B3A ringer in the 306 is for 4-party selective (or 8-party semi-selective) service. It is a lower resistance ringer; so, if the tube is replaced with a capacitor, you need a 1 uF cap. rather than the 0.5 uF used with a B1A ringer. The insert is a resonator.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

allnumbedup

As always poplar, thanks for the steering me in the right direction:

Handset Hangers: I see how these would work especially on a wall in a busy call area like a switch board or community phone.

WE 306 ringer: I was able to get a decent ring with a 0.47uF capacitor, maybe because I connected tip and ring through one to the connection board and left the tube hooked up. But, the 1uF cap is super loud and I can vouch for the improved ring with the resonator.  The ring on the B3A almost continues on to the next pulse of the ringer:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12185.msg128812#msg128812

WE 302 dates: Good eye on the cord restrains which are both 56, the dial is IV39 with a vermillion smudge on the governor, but the dial plate is 56 too.

thanks JC
Analog Phones for a Digital World