"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

FG TIST 282 October 1969

Started by dsk, December 10, 2019, 04:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

I did it again 8)
I bought a phone I do not need, but the Siemens modell 55 is an interesting design. NOK 200 shipping included ($22)

The phone cam wrapped badly so I expected the worst, but no It is unharmed.
I did put on a suitable line cord, and it works!

Stange with a make/brak ratio of of 50:50
I do not know how to date it.

dsk

countryman

It has a code "11 Z 10" on it. According to this list that would mean it was made in October 1969: Z = year 1944 or 1969, 10 = month
The first number "11" would be a code for the production site. There is no official list of these, but there is evidence 11 in this era stands for Bocholt.
The Fg tist 282 has a germanWikipedia article: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fg_tist_282

HarrySmith

Is this a desk phone or a wall phone?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 10, 2019, 05:02:22 PM
Is this a desk phone or a wall phone?

A desk phone. The handset is on the cradle the wrong way around.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on December 10, 2019, 04:54:49 PM
The Fg tist 282 has a german Wikipedia article: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fg_tist_282

That article mentions some variations of the 282 including the Fg tist 283 which it describes as "Diese war mit einem Tastenfeld für Mehrfrequenzwahl ausgestattet." As I understand it, that is not correct; the Fg tist 283 is a button intercom phone that does not use DTMF.

There was a DTMF version of the 282 but I don't know how it was coded.

Regards
Jack

countryman

I agree that part of the article is wrong.
The production of this design ended by 1973. At this time DTMF was still not used much in Europe. There may have been prototypes of the 282 with DTMF though.
Siemens experimented with DEV keypads in the 1960ies, a system using a diode array and a ground connection. It proved unsuitable for longer distances and was soon abandoned. Matilo mentions a third approach by Philips in his article on the Heemaf type 1955. Probably these incompatible systems, all using a keypad, were mixed up by the Wikipedia author.

From the 1970ies on it was obvious that DTMF won the race and newer phone designs came with an option for a DTMF keypad. Hired phones from the phone co. remained rotary until the 1990ies though, at least here in Germany. Rumors say there was a concern too many customers would want the new system and "accidentally" drop their old sets.

dsk

That is true, the first DTMF phone was introduced in Norway in 1982! All older ones was made for test use. 
The 82 version had a version without  # and * and sent pulses.
dsk

Jack Ryan

Quote from: dsk on December 11, 2019, 07:18:08 AM
That is true, the first DTMF phone was introduced in Norway in 1982! All older ones was made for test use. 
The 82 version had a version without  # and * and sent pulses.
dsk

It sounds like button telephones were introduced in 1982 as DTMF requires tones.

In Australia, button phones were introduced in 1976 (based on phones found). Both pulse and DTMF were available - anyone could have a button phone but not all exchanges accepted DTMF. If you wanted a button phone but were connected to an old exchange like SxS, you got a pulse dialling button phone. There were two different models, switchable pulse/tone phones came later.

Jack

countryman

Yours at least is rotary and proud of it :-)
It looks complete and also well kept, with the ugly packing material removed. The grey ABS usually does not fade too bad. Congrats! Price seems OK.   

Edit to add: The German standard was a 60:40 ratio. Maybe tear and wear made it more like 50:50? I guess this is not overly critical on modern equipment provided the timing is right and the signal is not noisy.

dsk

Picture with the handset the right way  ;D

The 2. picture is of the contact set for the pulses, this are probably deformed slightly after years of use, bending them closer made the timing correct!

Took me som time to understand how easy it could be solved.

dsk

countryman

Quote from: Jack Ryan on December 10, 2019, 06:33:18 PM
That article mentions some variations of the 282 including the Fg tist 283 which it describes as "Diese war mit einem Tastenfeld für Mehrfrequenzwahl ausgestattet." As I understand it, that is not correct; the Fg tist 283 is a button intercom phone that does not use DTMF.

There was a DTMF version of the 282 but I don't know how it was coded.

Regards
Jack

I found a picture of a model 283. It has 10 buttons, but is an intercom...
Still possible (and even likely) that more versions of it existed - but very few of them or none were DTMF phones.
eBay link:https://www.ebay.de/itm/392557812063

LarryInMichigan

This posting prompted me to take out my Belgian tist 282 (forum link) to use on my desk.  Fortunately, this phone is compatible with Ooma and DialGizmo.

Larry

Jack Ryan

Quote from: countryman on December 12, 2019, 02:51:50 PM
I found a picture of a model 283. It has 10 buttons, but is an intercom...

There was a DTMF tone (I don't know what standard) version of that phone - it looked the same but did not have the rows of labels.

Jack

dsk

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 12, 2019, 05:52:57 PM
This posting prompted me to take out my Belgian tist 282 (forum link) to use on my desk.  Fortunately, this phone is compatible with Ooma and DialGizmo.

Larry

That is a slightly different wiring diagram, more suitable for longer lines, and more equal to phones used in North America.

dsk

Number, please!

"I did it again, I bought a phone I do not need, but...."

Dag, these are your own words!  You are certainly deep into these phones.  Call the doctor!

Vennlige morsome hilsen!   God jul og godt ny år!   

Stu
Stu