News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Different Stromberg Carlson Handset

Started by Doug Rose, November 05, 2020, 07:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have only had one of these and the retainer band that holds the metal transmitter has just fell apart. I bought a group of 14 handsets on eBay with this one in mind. There were two but the other has a warped band on it.

What were these used on? I have one on a SC space saver with that bad band  :'(

Not sure why such a solid handset had an issue with the bands. This is one heavy handset.

Handset cord is shot and needs to be replace, but it still works!

Any info is greatly appreciated. What is the model number....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOURTEEN-ASSORTED-TELEPHONE-HANDSETS-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-A-E-BELL-NORTHERN/303740897530?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

It looks like an 1100 series or early 1212 handset to me. I can't see the top to double check.

Jack

FABphones

Screenshots from above link:

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jack Ryan on November 05, 2020, 07:54:59 AM
It looks like an 1100 series or early 1212 handset to me. I can't see the top to double check.

Jack

thanks Jack....I do appreciate it...Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

That was a very good $9.99 worth - lots of useful handsets/parts.
:)

Doug Rose

I was shocked no one else bid on this.

I was hopeful that both SC handsets would be good. Most of the handsets had some issues, but I got some nice ones and some great parts. Two early Leich handsets are damage free.

The F1 lookalike and this SC were perfect....just really filthy...Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

I bought a reproduction band from maybe phoneco??? One of the supply places a few years ago. They do seem to be fragile.
Gary

Doug Rose

thanks Gary....I will check it out...Doug
Kidphone

kleenax

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 06, 2020, 08:45:12 AM
thanks Gary....I will check it out...Doug
I did cast these replacement bands quite some time ago, and sold about 100 of them. Don't have any now, and haven't made any in about 10 years. As thin as the material is, I just cannot get a hard enough material to cast with to get them to NOT "splay out" when you tighten them too much, so I stopped making them. My repros LOOK great, WORK great, but they seem to come loose just enough to separate after awhile of being on the phone :-(  They work fine with a "dab" of some adhesive ;)
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Doug Rose

thanks Ray...I have one good one.

I am in need of one for second handset that is only a spare. If you find any. let me know....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

A band off of a WE metal linemans handset will fit but looks different.

kleenax

Quote from: oldguy on November 05, 2020, 09:03:05 PM
I bought a reproduction band from maybe phoneco??? One of the supply places a few years ago. They do seem to be fragile.
I made those for PhoneCo as well, but I stopped
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC