"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WECo Watts Nickel Plating

Started by dencins, April 17, 2010, 04:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dencins

Quote from: Dan/Panther on April 27, 2010, 01:08:47 AM
When you get it set up and working, would you mind taking a photo so we can see how much room you need to do this. I was thin king of setting something on a permanent basis, but want to make sure it doesn't require half my shop.
D/P
My set up will probably be a major disappointment.  Since my workroom is in the basement with limited air circulation, I only do the polishing there.  I put a hot plate on a small table on the deck where I do the stripping and cleaning.  The stripping tank is the largest item and it is an 8 qt stock pot.  The cleaning tank is an old stainless steel 1 qt dog dish.  The rinse tank is another old stainless steel 1 qt dog dish.  I do the plating in a 1500 ml (about 1 1/2 qt) beaker on the kitchen table.  The power supply is 2 D cell batteries also on the kitchen table.  When done I let everything cool down then pour the chemicals into quart plastic bottles, put everything in a couple of boxes and put it in the garage until the next time.  Guess you could call it a knock-down setup.

Dennis

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Sounds like a small corner in my laundry room might work.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

dencins

Just an update to the parts I have been nickel plating.  The pic is the back side of a WECo 250W transmitter - cup, swivel, swivel screw and screws to hold the cup to the faceplate.

Dennis

Jim Stettler

Quote from: dencins on May 07, 2010, 12:59:20 AM
Just an update to the parts I have been nickel plating.  The pic is the back side of a WECo 250W transmitter - cup, swivel, swivel screw and screws to hold the cup to the faceplate.

Dennis
Dennis,
I think you have the process down. I am quite impressed with the results.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

Wow Dennis! Impressive, to say the least.  :o
Jorge

Doug Rose

Dennis.....outstanding work, looks better than new! Would you consider doing some work for a price? I think there would be more than a few members on the Forum who could send some business your way. Utterly amazing!.....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
In the famous words of Will Smith, "I have got to get me one of those"......
That is as nice a nickel plate job as I have ever seen. I think you may have a money maker on your hands.
D/P

dencins

Quote from: Kidphone on May 07, 2010, 09:51:21 AM
Dennis.....outstanding work, looks better than new! Would you consider doing some work for a price? I think there would be more than a few members on the Forum who could send some business your way. Utterly amazing!.....Doug
Doug

Thanks.

While I feel I have made good progress with this, I still have things to learn.  I have found over the years that if you think you know something, you have just started to learn.

Once I am comfortable that I can  produce consistent results, I will consider offering it as a service.  I believe people who have received footpads, base plate covers, No 6 battery labels, etc. from me will agree that when I produce items they will be as close as possible to original new WECo parts and they come out that way everytime.

Dennis 

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
That is really outstanding work.
D/P

dencins

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 08, 2010, 11:20:24 PM
Dennis;
That is really outstanding work.
D/P
D/P

Thanks I am slowly getting there.  Polishing before plating seems to be key getting a good finish on the plate.  Most of the time is spent preparing (polishing and cleaning) the part.

I can appreciate the issues with a commercial plater on these parts.  I suspect most would probably bead blast and polish so any lettering would be much less clear when they were done.  Also the professionals seem to like to put on copper plate before nickel plate.  It is required on steel but on brass the copper plate covers up what was not polished well but again the lettering suffers.  Unlike a hobbyist, the professional plater may not appreciate the details of the part.

Brass polishes well and nickel can be applied directly to brass.  As long as you spend the time cleaning up 100 years of wear and corrosion, the parts come out looking good.      

Dennis

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
That is what I've heard,  preparation is the key. I have ab habit of rushing the preparation, I want to get to it...
D/P

dencins

While it predates "Rotary Phones", I thought I would post this to show a finished product with nickel plating.  This is a Western Electric 323 solid back transmitter that has been rebuilt from original parts with nickel parts re-plated.  This particular transmitter dates back to the 1920's and was used on candlestick and wood wall phones.

After rebuilding the carbon module and adjusting the module to diaphragm contact force, this produces a very clear sound with good volume as long as you speak directly into the mouthpiece.  The old transmitters were very directional.

I am now finishing up a Western Electric 229 solid back transmitter from the late 1890's.  I have completed the carbon module rebuild and it produces the same clear sound and volume as the 323.  The 323 has a different construction than the 2XX (229 and 250) and replaced the 2XX transmitters in 1917.  

Dennis

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Those parts are fabulous.
One of the first post i did was rebuilding one of those modules. Since it wasn't dial related and we thought we were running short on bandwidth, I deleted the posts. I used carbon granules that I ground up myself. I've never tested the module and have since replaced it. The phone is just a wall Queen.
My parts are from a Grabaphone, I also have the Candlestick and the wall phone made by WE.
D/P

JorgeAmely

Dennis:

Please post pictures of the complete phone. The nickel finish looks very nice with a red background.
Jorge