News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE50 style Jukebox ID and repairs

Started by Systemagic, March 24, 2022, 11:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Systemagic

I used to buy & sell whatever collectibles I could find at flea markets etc. and, not being a skilled technician, whenever I found an old phone and had a question I'd bring it here. Thanks, again, for all the help in the past.

I'm retiring and haven't bought anything to resell in several years but recently found a pair of AE50's in a storage bin that I have to deal with.

One, made after 1945, is in pretty nice condition but doesn't ring.

The other one is earlier may not even aptly be called an AE50 because American Electric didn't manufacture it; it was made by Philips Electric in Canada.

It looks to be an early jukebox. The line terminal board is at the top, above the dial, vs. at the bottom like all the other AE50s I've seen. Unfortunately it's not in great shape but might be passable if it worked. It doesn't. The case looks like someone chipped and cracked it not knowing to unscrew the plunger.

I'm wondering if this particular model has any greater value, to phone collectors, as a parts phone, due to the fact that it's likely scarcer than most. It seems like it could be earlier than the 1945 variant and the back is stamped with what looks like it could be a date: "35-A5".

Is this better quality more desirable vintage phone junk or just vintage phone junk usefull as a prop or for parts?

On the technical side I've tried every possible variation of the three; Red, Green, Black wire, including doubling-up, and while 2/3rds of the variations get a dial tone, nothing gets it to work properly. I'm not optimistic but if someone more skilled knows of some old bizarre way of connecting an older model 50 to make it work I'd appreciate hearing about it.   

Gary Z

You have the earlier model. The AE35 and the later handset. The 35 IS more desirable than the 50.

LarryInMichigan

Both phones are valuable, but the one without the side vents is an earlier and much less common AE35 and is generally worth much more than an AE50.  Just about any serious collector will have to have both of those models in their collection.  I doubt that there is much difference in value between the American AE versions and the Canadian Phillips Electrical Works versions.

The phones should be usable.  They are certainly not junk.

Larry

HarrySmith

Instead of junking them just send the to me ;D
As already stated the earlier model 35 is a desirable one. You should be able to source the proper handset. The diagram for both phones is in our wiring diagram section. I restored one a while back and I used the diagram on here.
I made it to the notable refurb topic on my 35:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11814.15
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Systemagic

Thanks Larry. I did see something on here that suggested that a good working AE35 could be worth as much as $500. Not sure how best to pass it along to someone who could make it work for a fair price. Any suggestions on what might be a fair price 'as is'? Alternatively do know of a trouble shooting guide that could help a relative nube to get it to work? (I do have a multimeter)

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 24, 2022, 12:50:38 PM
Both phones are valuable, but the one without the side vents is an earlier and much less common AE35 and is generally worth much more than an AE50.  Just about any serious collector will have to have both of those models in their collection.  I doubt that there is much difference in value between the American AE versions and the Canadian Phillips Electrical Works versions.

The phones should be usable.  They are certainly not junk.

Larry

Systemagic

Not hearing anything better I've listed this AE35 for sale 'as is' on Craigslist for $50 plus shipping. Happy to ship to anyone's address here if interested.

FABphones

Quote from: Systemagic on March 25, 2022, 11:03:06 AM
Not hearing anything better I've listed this AE35 for sale 'as is' on Craigslist...
Happy to ship to anyone's address here if interested.

Place your ad in the Classifieds section on this site:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=85.0

It would be nice for a member to add it to their collection rather than it go to a dealer for a resale profit.

$50 is a VERY good price!
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Gary Z

I would like to have it. I'm not sure if you received my PM

Systemagic

Got your message, Gary, thanx.

Done deal.

It may be next week b4 I can find a box in order to estimate shipping.

Talk to you then,
Marty