News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1949 302 just restored

Started by HarrySmith, March 19, 2014, 08:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

1949 302 just completed restoration. I finally remembered to take some before pictures! A few attached and more here:

http://s970.photobucket.com/user/HarrySmith57/library/1949%20302
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JimH

Very nice job!  Looks like a frame off restoration!  Now its ready for another 65 years of faithful service.
Jim H.

Mr. Bones

Great job, Harry!

You do beautiful work, and it shows!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Babybearjs

looks like my work..... I take them all apart.... clean them up real nice and put them back together..... oh, ya.... and I test them too!
John

Matilo Telephones

Wow, great job!

What did you use to polish those bells? There are galvanised steel, are they not?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

dsk

Really great job, I guess its looking better than it was as new.  I have to admit to only use the vacuum cleaner inside the phones.

dsk

persido

Great work, I need to take some lessons from you. The handset has a great shine.

Matilo Telephones

Quote from: dsk on March 20, 2014, 03:15:07 AM
Really great job, I guess its looking better than it was as new.  I have to admit to only use the vacuum cleaner inside the phones.

dsk

I use a soft 2 inch paintbrush for dusting and a medium toothbrush. A small vacuumcleaner is on my wishlist. :-)

Sometimes I go a little bit further. I do sometimes clean and polish everything, down to the last little screw. But only in special cases.
Groeten,

Arwin

HarrySmith

Thanks for the props guys. This is the one I am selling to a CL customer, where I was asking about a fair price. The ringer gongs are brass, I always shine them up. My wife says it is my trademark. I start by cleaning them in the kitchen sink with a Brillo pad. It seems they have some kind of sealer or something on them, they won't shine until it is removed. After the Brillo treatment I use a product I was introduced to while in the Navy. It is called "Neverdull", on the ship it was used on all the brass. It works on other metals too. It is a wadding soaked in some chemicals, rub it on, let dry and buff. Easy and great shine.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Matilo Telephones

Sealer on the bells? Like a sort of wax? Or laquer?
Groeten,

Arwin

HarrySmith

I'm not sure, some kind of laquer type stuff I think. All I know is I cannot get a good shine without stripping them first.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Beautiful restoration! Didn't the 49ers have straight rubber cords?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

poplar1

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on March 20, 2014, 10:51:25 AM
Beautiful restoration! Didn't the 49ers have straight rubber cords?

The H3AG and D3AY rubber cords weren't installed on new 302s until 1952. 1949 still had cloth cords H3C and D3AL.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Actually it did have straight rubber cords on it when I got it. The line cord was cut off and the handset cord was rock hard. I installed a cloth handset cord from a NOS F1W handset I got from Steve Hilsz a few years ago. The line cord is a new modular one. I recommended to the customer to let me put a coiled handset cord on to make it easier to use.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 20, 2014, 04:27:39 PM
Actually it did have straight rubber cords on it when I got it. The line cord was cut off and the handset cord was rock hard. I installed a cloth handset cord from a NOS F1W handset I got from Steve Hilsz a few years ago. The line cord is a new modular one. I recommended to the customer to let me put a coiled handset cord on to make it easier to use.

Harry,

So the customer didn't take your recommendation for a coiled cord?

Are you planning to keep the original number card?

I'd be real surprised if the rubber cords were original to the set. Although some rubber cords were already available in the 1940s, especially for humid locations, all the black 302s I have seen with all matching dates had cloth cords from 1937-1951 and rubber cords in 1952. However, when the phones went back to the shop for refurbishing, they often got new rubber cords then. This one also has a 6A dial which had to have been added in 1952 or later.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.