"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric 3 slot Panel Phone

Started by Dan F, January 13, 2018, 09:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan F

Big Score!

Found on eBay a great deal on a Northern Electric 3 slot panel phone. I have never seen any documentation for this type. It has a standard 3 slot housing under the outer locking panel. The coin chute on the top of the upper housing has coin twisters and the coin return lever sticks out of the front.

After getting it home and unboxing and initial inspection seems to be in good condition. The phone is complete including the coin relay. I think it was pulled out of service then stashed in somebody's garage until I got it. He had no keys but they were standard 21B keys Northern Electric used.

Here's what I know. The date codes in the phone is 69 to 70. May have been one of the last 3 slot phones installed. The phone is complete but dirty. It will need a complete tear down for cleaning. It has a standard 425 network and bell you would find in a 500 set. The handset cord is hard and needs to be replaced, the dial's cover is cracked and also needs to be replaced. The dial has an extra set of mute contacts so that may be a consideration if I salvage one out of a 500 set.

What I need is the original schematic to restore it to original operation to work with my payphone controller. I could use the diagram for a 236 but if it's a little different I want to know.

The model in the phone says it's a "QKDIA". I am not familiar with NE model numbers beyond the standard one they used with the 200 series 3 slot phones which were clones of the Bell System phones.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dan F

HarrySmith

That is a pretty cool phone! Definetly a different kind of 3 slot. Great find!

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Payphone installer

The phone is not a true panel phone it is a panel phone enclosure or housing. They were used by both A/E and N/E. western Electric made a 3 slot panel which was the 235 they also made a 10 button version. probably 1235G. N/E did make a single slot and it is very rare.

Payphone installer

Here is a very rare W/E panel phone rotary. note the white handset and number ring.

Payphone installer

And here is the rare 10 button W/E at the worlds fair. the dial lit up like a Trimline .

Payphone installer

I went and found the ADCO advertisement on the panel phone enclosures and a good picture of a 235G.