and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE 2236QC

Started by johnnyjt, February 18, 2013, 11:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Pourme on March 05, 2016, 12:19:27 PM
Quote from: Pourme on March 04, 2016, 01:21:28 PM
I found one of these in chrome today, no keys.

He was asking $124.95 and when I asked about the keys, he drooped to $75.00 without me even asking for a discount. I didn't buy it because I'm a little intimidated by the prospect of getting a pay phone in working order. What is a fair price and the collectibility of this model?

I went back this morning to see if this pay phone was still there & it was....I offered the guy $50.00 and he accepted it.

I have my 1st pay station phone!...You guys are enabling my weakness!

Thank you!

You could always sell it to fund your telephone collecting hobby....

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

I lucked up twice in the past week!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Stan S

Hello
Have you connected it to a phone line yet and does it work?

The Northern NE-1236s and NE-2236s were the best Touch Tone payphones ever made.
Makes no difference what it cost. You got a great payphone!

Stan S.

Contempra

Pourme

Quote from: Stan S on March 06, 2016, 12:36:56 PM
Hello
Have you connected it to a phone line yet and does it work?

The Northern NE-1236s and NE-2236s were the best Touch Tone payphones ever made.
Makes no difference what it cost. You got a great payphone!

Stan S.

No I haven't. The weekend has kept me busy. I plan to take some time tomorrow to tinker with it a bit. Glad to hear what a good phone it is.

Jim s...For now I think I'll hold on to it, it looks nice just sitting there!...Thanks for the advice and comments....Grateful to have y'all to guide me!
Benny

Stan S

Pourme
Not much to fiddle with.
First make sure the orange plastic coin trigger in the coin hopper is pushed down.
Connect the green and red wires coming out of the phone to the phone line.
Try making a call. 
If you push a button and don't get any tones, reverse the red and green connections to the phone line.
Those payphones were polarity sensitive.

Stan S.

Pourme

Interesting....will do...I'll report back tomorrow....concerned about getting keys for it....
Benny

poplar1

Keys are available for the top lock: If it's a Northern Electric lock, then a 21B key should open it.

The vault doors have serial numbers and different keys for each lock. You may have to remove the vault door lock from the back, by removing the back of the phone. Then it can be replaced with a Northern Elec. or Western Electric vault door lock and matching key, available for about $15.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Cadillac Joe

Good morning gents.

I need your assistance.  A friend gave me a very nice NE 2236 QC payphone.  The chrome came up like new when polished.  OK, the phone technology inside was bunged up to make it work like a normal house phone.  My project is to get it working just like it did when it came from the factory.  I am now looking for parts.  I need the coin hopper with relay and paddle (to the vault or return), I need the coin relay a the top of the phone too.

It is hard to find (or of these past few weeks) to locate either these Northern Electric or Western Electric parts.  Are the Automatic Electric parts from the same era compatible with the NE 2236 phone?  ...or to you have these NE parts that I may buy from you.

I really appreciate your help.

Joseph

rdelius

AE parts will not help you with a Northern paystation.Some WE parts will interchange

Cadillac Joe

Thank you.  I appreciate your help!  I will look then for NE parts and WE parts.

Have a great day.

Joseph

Cadillac Joe

Hi guys,
I need to get some parts for my really cool NE-2236 QC telephone. Do you know of a member who may have parts to rebuild the internal workings of my phone correctly?  I need the hopper w/ solenoid, the coin solenoid (at the top of the phone).  It also looks like two wires from the chime circuit have been cut too.

I really appreciate any help!

Joseph

Fabius

Ron Knappen (PhoneCo) in Wisconsin has been selling the Northern 3 slot touchtone paystations for years. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a bunch of parts.

http://www.phonecoinc.com/

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Fabius on August 02, 2016, 07:48:21 PM
Ron Knappen (PhoneCo) in Wisconsin has been selling the Northern 3 slot touchtone paystations for years. It wouldn't surprise me if he had a bunch of parts.

http://www.phonecoinc.com/

Send an email Attention Mary  regarding the parts you need. Mention you are a telephone collector .
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

DoubleTone

I don't intend to hijack this thread, but I'm working on an identical
NE pay phone and cannot find info about a component connected to the
relay.  Keeping discussion in one place seems most likely to be
helpful to others later.

Below are pictures of this component as found in another NE-2236QC in
my collection. One of its wires connects to terminal 2 on the P-13E961
relay; the other two wires emanate from the D Sub connector block.
Even Mary at PhoneCo says that they have no knowledge of this
component, but I can see it in pictures I've found on-line of this
model pay phone.

I can locate no documentation about this phone although I did find a
reference to a relevant Northern Electric doc (510-500-450UT), but the
document itself remains elusive.  Does anyone have this doc?  And what
is this component?  Does it have a more modern equivalent that might
substitute for it (although I'd much prefer to avoid that compromise)?
Mary can supply the relay, but I badly want a faithful restoration and
right now don't even know what name to use when searching for this part.

Thanks for anything helpful.