News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Type A to Type F US Navy Phones

Started by ntophones, January 06, 2010, 02:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

Well, I actually won that AE50 with the grooves for the wire holders. I hope I got a good phone, but, you never know. I'm concerned about the ringer assembly, but, that is neither here nor there at the moment.
However, I am very interested in your pattern for the wire holders. stub. I think I'll just make mine out of coat hangers, if I can bend them properly. I may need your help, but, I will make an attempt.
Could you post a copy of your pattern?
THanks,
nto
--nto

Jim Stettler

You can find 3' sections of piano wire (in various dia.) at various hardware stores. Around here you can buy it at Ace.
Harbor freight used to sell a small wire bending jig that would probably work great for this application.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

ntophones

Oh, say, thanks--per your earlier post, I went ahead and bought one set! Thanks!!!! I really appreciate it!.
Of course, I think on this phone, I'll need all the help I can get, since I don't even know what ringer that is in there. It looks pretty ragged inside. I'm a little scared, but am anxious to get it!
--nto

ntophones

It turns out that I will also need receiver part for the handset I have. I have a transmitter. I wonder, is oldphoneworks the best place for one? Or do you guys know someone cheaper for that?
Thanks,
nto
--nto

LarryInMichigan

nto,

I was just speaking with Steve Hilsz.  Has says that he has the receiver capsule for $3.50.  He has a web site at http://phonesurplus.com/.

Larry

ntophones

--nto

ntophones

Piano wire...great idea. What is a jig, exactly?
--nto

LarryInMichigan

A jig is a Celtic dance ;D,  or a special tool for bending wire into a specific form.

Jim Stettler

The jig I am talking about would be called a wire-bending jig.
It is a perforated base plate that has movable posts. You can place the posts in different locations and bend the wires around them. The posts allow you to create the desired curve radius to the wire.

Piano wire is a very high tensile wire. It is located by the small specialty tubing.

The piano wire is probably going to be the closest match to original wire. The jig would be the easiest way to bend the wire to the pattern.

Jim S.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

stub

Ntophones,
                 Where do you want to start?  Do you have the cover off the phone ? I have mine here and it's apart , what do you need a pic  of?  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

ntophones

Well, I don't have the phone, yet and can't figure out how to show you the insides.
But, I am interested in the Hook assembly and the way you attached the wires. Also the plunger. I got one that is not quite correct. I purchased one for a regular AE50 phone. But, the one I won on Ebay, is a Navy phone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320470071127&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1182 -- dead link

According to Steve Hilz, the plunger should have a spring in it and sit on (I think) the wire assembly. I wonder if your phones do that, or, if you got your working with a regular plunger. I am super interested in how yours look inside.
Thanks. (I know I'm premature, but, I can't wait to see how these things work.)
I really appreciate your help!

I'm looking into getting piano wire and a jig for it, asap.
--nto

stub

Ntophones,
                    Here's the the plunger that was in mine. It may take a while to find pattern!!!!!  Hope these pics help.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

ntophones

Beautiful--Thank you!
Your plunger is different than the one I bought. If you don't mind, could you do one more picture with the plunger part installed? And, one more from above showing from the ringer assembly to the bottom part of the phone. I think that will show the hook assembly. (I hope you haven't put your phone together, yet.)
Thanks so very much...I know it is a lot to ask.
I really appreciate your help! Yours is a very beautiful job!

I'm really getting excited about it. BTW, could you also show how you attached the wires to the front of the case?
Thanks. (I hope this is not too much to ask)
nto
--nto

stub

Nto,  Sure, It will take alittle while i'm on dial-up!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield